Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Moving Day: The End of an Era.




I was surprised how much I felt it.

As I returned the vacuum to the hall, walked back and closed the curtains for the last time, my heart sank a little deeper into my chest. This had been my home for three years. And it was ending.

My life didn't flash before my eyes, but my life in the seminary apartments did. I lived in three different apartments in three different years, with plenty of different roommates and neighbors.

I thought of my first year, where everything was new, living with Andy, hanging with all the Kerns and becoming an honorary member. (Honorary means you're invited to the parties, but you don't get a scholarship.) I thought of Rachael and how we became such good friends that year.

Year two followed. I roomed with Steve and Grant. Honestly, I can't even remember how my room was set up. I see glimpses in my memory, but it's as if it's all been forgotten already. How many other parts of life have I forgotten so quickly? I developed friendships with Carrie and Amber, Mike and Adam and others. We played Ultimate Frisbee in the rain. We ate community dinners.

This past year I finally moved to the other side, facing away from the monstrous Westin, where I was shielded from the afternoon sun, trading it for a gentle waking as the light shone its rays each day one by one by one. Steve moved out, Jon moved in. We had our own community dinners with Lauren and Courtney and Kimberly.

I closed the curtain, and stood by the door. Then I sat down and stared into the empty room, remembering the empty rooms I had moved in and out of. And, in a moment of grief for loss of a friend, I thanked God for the time I did have in that building. I rejoiced that I had those memories. I became thankful not only for the gift, but for the Giver.

I'm never quite sure where I'll end up next. But, as I look at God's track record in my life, it's been perfect every time. I can't say I enjoy moving in and out. But I don't mind motion.

Especially when it's moving on.

Hitherto thy love hath blessed me
Thou hast brought me to this place
And I know thy hand will bring me
Safely home by thy good grace

3 comments:

Rachael Monts said...

My first year (and yours) at Lindner was definitely pretty great. So thankful God gave us such great years there. :)

Miss you friend. Oh wait, I get to see you tomorrow! YAY! :D

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree with Rachael. That first year was awesome. My favorite memory is a certain morning where my roommate came sliding into the kitchen in nothing but boxers, playing the electric guitar with a rock star face.

gucci purses said...

Louis Vuitton Monogram Roses Canvas Speedy 30
Louis Vuitton Damier Azur Canvas Neverfull MM(white)
Louis Vuitton Damier Canvas Neverfull PM
Louis Vuitton Monogram Canvas Wapity Case
Louis Vuitton Damier Canvas Speedy 25
Louis Vuitton Monogram Canvas Keepall 55