I'm two for two.
I had Donald Miller's book A Million Miles in a Thousand Years recommended to me by three different people. I figured I'd better check it out.
I went to Family Christian on the 8th and picked up a copy. I read about 4 pages and lent it to a friend. I don't plan on getting it back. I heard once that if you want someone to read a book, you should "loan" it to them so they feel the sense of urgency, then when they say how much they enjoyed it you can say, "Great! Keep it."
So, today, I went back to Family Christian (the book was on sale for 50% off, and still is) and got another copy. Then I went to get my haircut. My regular stylist told me how she was looking for a local church, and she's going through a divorce, and other things. She did a fantastic job with my hair.
As I climbed back into my car, feeling particularly sexy, I saw the book next to me. And I had that strange sense, the one that only comes out of a habit of listening to God, that I should give the book to my stylist. I thought about it, flipped through the book, read a few words, thought how ridiculous that would be. Then I got out of the car, walked back in, asked her if she reads, and upon hearing, "Yes," I left it on her station where she said she would pick it up and read before my next haircut.
So, now I'm out two copies. But I think that second event really gets at Miller's point: Are we living a story worth telling?
Stories happen when people do things that people normally wouldn't do.
Anybody have any stories lately?
7 comments:
"Are we living a story worth telling?"
i can only speak for myself and the answer is yes...i apologize for those that do not...if you know me, then you know my stories from the past and present
You'd better go buy another copy and read it so that you can contribute to the discussion next time she is shaving down your sideburns.
Anna - That's a good way to live. I think my day-to-day is usually full of the mundane. Some people seem to have a story for every day of the week. I am not one of those people.
But I've always been a big picture person, so I'm not too bothered that each day is part of a greater story.
Andy - You're on to something. I think I'm gonna borrow Grant's. I don't think I can buy another copy... I'll just end up giving it away and still not reading it, ha.
[[As I climbed back into my car, feeling particularly sexy, I saw the book next to me. And I had that strange sense, the one that only comes out of a habit of listening to God, that I should give the book to my stylist.]]
This whole segment is amazing.
For me, it grabs the moment.
I hope it handed the moment to you.
I'm really torn between LAUGHING very loudly at the "feeling very sexy" part and commending you on listening to God and blessing more then two people with Miller's books. :)
I personally have to stop here though because after reading all the insightful comments your "readers" have to say...i TOTALLY agree with lvhandbags' point of view.
Jenn - Why choose? Just laugh and commend. It's the perfect either/and scenario.
And I hate all those spam comments! Argh...
Post a Comment