Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Let Me Tell You How to Die

I may have lied a little.

Today I lifted a comment from a conversation in an online class. After posting it on my Facebook I got several responses from excited to upset, all undeserved.

My bad.

See, we were talking about organizations and churches, and I was posing a question: When is it time to let one die? As the conversation went back and forth, a classmate said, "No one's out there writing a book called Let Me Tell You How to Die."

Funny!

My status immediately became "...is co-writing a book called 'Let Me Tell You How to Die'".

Some friends were ecstatic! Some were appalled. Some expressed their liking it with a dainty click of a thumbs-up.

Turns out people take my status seriously. But that makes me wonder...

Why didn't anyone respond to "...wants someone to bring him cookies."?

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Because anyone who has any cookies is eating them all themselves.

I thought your status was a little weird, but I figured it was either an inside joke or just a clever title for a collection of humorous, non-fic prose...like David Sedaris' "When You Are Engulfed in Flames." Obviously tongue-in-cheek.

*sigh* facebook. If only it were around during Seinfeld...

Anonymous said...

Yeah - I too saw it, and just figured it was another Dan(ism)

Dan said...

Kristen - Oooh, that would make sense. Non-fic prose. There may be a Christian market for that. My pseudonym could be "Danald Miller."

Sadly, I think you're right about the cookies. :\

Andrew J - You know me too well

Anonymous said...

If I'm honest, I think that I would have responded to your status about cookies before your status about the book.

Interesting that it turned from the death of an organization or a church to a person's death. I think you could most certainly co-author an interesting book with that title. Perhaps done in jest, but some of the greatest ideas have such a small and humble beginning ;)

Dan said...

Samantha - After a couple conversations we decided it really could be a book. It could be psychology, business, discipleship or humor. Or, we could write four books, one for each category. That way no matter what section of B&N you go to, you'll find one. :)

PS - I'll always take cookies!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Well the next time I make some cookies I'll be sure to snail mail some your way. The body of Christ can be an encouragement even many miles away :)

Dan said...

Deal. :)