Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I finished!

I finally finished a book! I have entirely read only about 3% of my books, so this is pretty huge. It was Shane Claiborne's The Irresistible Revolution.

Other than reading Jesus's words about the poor straight from the bible, this is the most challenging book on the subject of social justice and responsibility I have ever read. It's one of those ones that will cause me to stop and reconsider how I spend money, live daily, work, play, etc. Because, it's not about me.

Segue!

I've been in the apartment all day today, and got about an hour's worth of work done. Well, it was kind of depressing for a variety of reasons. So, basically I was sitting here depressed for a little while, surfing the internet and watching Andy play Mario Kart and 1080.

Seeing the book, I decided to continue my reading. As soon as my mind shifted off of myself and onto others (the poor, marginalized, destitue) my depression lifted and was replaced with concern, compassion, and even urgency.

In cases of boredom, depression affects those who forget to affect others.

So, good book, great lesson, wonderful end to an otherwise mediocre day.

Next up, Jesus for President by... yep. Shane Claiborne (and Chris Haw).

DL

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm...so...proud! *tear*

Sounds like an interesting read. I like the idea of transferring boredom into compassion (and the desire to bring about good in the world.)

There's a used book store in Casselberry that i'm going to bring you to next time you're in town (if you haven't been yet, that is.) It's called "Bright Light Books" and although it has a decent selection of classics, it sells predominantly theology books. It's like our two worlds coming together and sharing a shop. And maybe a cup of coffee.

Dan said...

Is that right off of 436 kind of near Red Bug? If so, I've seen it and never been in. If not, I imagined it and have been there many times.

- don't worry, I didn't get it either.

Lauren said...

Yep, that's the one.

Side note, my new house is off Red Bug so we could have a visit to my house AND the bookstore. Exciting? I think so.