I'm currently working on a paper that was due three weeks ago. Actually, I guess I'm currently blogging, but you get the idea.
Microsoft Word is sometimes wonderful, sometimes awful, and sometimes somewhere in the middle. Here are some examples, respectively:
a) I need a bulleted list? Bam! Done.
b) Need to create a line straight across the page? No problem! Need to make it disappear? ... Hmmm... wth... this is not working... [two hours later] Forget it. I'll just retype my entire resume.
c) On this paper I'm "currently" working on for my Anglican Theology class, I wrote the following sentence:
“If a piece of the communion bread falls on the floor and is eaten by a mouse, what does the mouse eat?”
What's this? Microsoft Word gave me a squiggly line under the end of the sentence, meaning it's going to show me how to correct my grammar. Funny, I didn't think anything was wrong... Let's check the suggestion:
“If a piece of the communion bread falls on the floor and is eaten by a mouse, what the mouse eats?”
Microsoft.
Word.
7 comments:
I had a co-worker assume Word was right every time it gave her the squiggly line. Clearly, it's not and she fought with me about it. A lot.
Research has been done that shows that Word's grammar checker is helpful...but not really reliable. Oh Word...
Lauren - I agree. Helpful, but not reliable. Sometimes it gets it good, other times I feel like I just gave it to a three-year old.
I hate how I have the Word correction every time i type an email in outlook- it won't friggin let me send something without telling me every single thing that is "wrong"
and you know my grammar...like i care if it's wrong or not!
Hahahahaha, oh man, I had the same problem with my resume recently. And like you, I spent an unhealthy portion of my life trying to figure out how to manipulate that stupid line once it was made. Awesome.
I'm interested to know what the rest of that paper is like if you're writing about mice eating communion bread....
I have a love/hate relationship with Microsoft Word. The hate part comes mostly from the spell checker.
Anna - I think it has an option to turn the grammar/spell check off. That is, unless you enjoy cursing at your Mac. :)
Kristen - Isn't it like, THE most frustrating thing in the world??
Kerry - Really, it isn't that interesting.
Angela - Hi! Nice to meet you. It's a love/hate relationship, eh? It loves to correct you and you hate that? ;)
Post a Comment