Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fail #1

I kinda hope this doesn't become a series.
On the other hand, I wouldn't mind.

Today was a discouraging day. As most of you know, I'm a server at a local fine-dining restaurant. The discouragement came about a half-hour after I got to work today.

A few weeks ago, the schedule changed. When it did, I got one late-wait (meaning I am the last server to go before the night servers come in) and one early-on (I am the first night server to come in for the evening). So, two days a week I was given shifts that would grant me a few more tables, meaning I could earn more cash. This was great because it means I was trusted with that increased pressure and responsibility.

Well, today I talked to the scheduling manager. He said they were discussing my performance lately (a couple of not-so-good shifts) at yesterday's managers meeting. To make a long story short, they decided there were other servers more capable to handle the late-wait and early-on. So they changed those shifts of mine to normal shifts.

Fail.

That was pretty hard to hear. Serving is something I've been scared to do pretty much my whole life because I knew I have two problems: multi-tasking and attention to detail. You're probably thinking, "If you knew those things, why in the world would you ever be a server?" It's because I had to challenge myself. I had to see if I could succeed.

Overall, I've done pretty well. I've kept the job, made friends, gotten tons of compliments from tables, and occasionally impressed the management staff. Normally those things happen when the restaurant is slow. But when things pick up, I'm among the first to drop back in the pack.

The good news is that I was told that I was in an "evaluation period" of sorts, so that I could earn the spots back. I really appreciated that. They think I have the potential, I'm just not there yet.

So, that's my first fail of the year. I tried. I failed. But I have the chance to try again and succeed.

I said I needed a challenge, right?
Blogged with the Flock Browser

6 comments:

ktams said...

Being humbled does hurt! But you know about pain...without it, we wouldn't realize that we are in need of help and healing. :-)

Lauren said...

Think of it this way - you did try and you're still trying. Work your way back up there. And if you don't get those shifts back, oh well. You are doing well at the restaurants, have impressed managers, and have had happy customers. It's not like you want to make your living as a waiter, right?

Matt said...

you serving is bad and you should feel bad. there are two post here already cuddling you and you don't need that. get out there and kick some ass like i know you can. you get that puerto rican set on 'boy band' or 'latin love machine' and show those patrons whats whats. you can do just be you BAMF self. peace.

Matt said...

you would think i am drunk from that last post but i am just bad at grammar and spelling.

Lauren said...

As much as I love the "tough love" approach, I'm going to go the encouraging route - this time. ;)

After a really rough day at work, my friend Shawn gave me a present, and it was exactly what I needed. Dan, I'm gonna' pass it along to you... and I'll give it to you at church tomorrow. Get excited. :)

Dan said...

Kerry - Humble? I'm the most humble person I know! Riiight. But you're right, pain does remind us of our need for healing. And that's a good thing. It's also a good connecting point for when we run into people who have been in similar situations.

Lauren - I'm working on it! I got a comment card filled out from a table and everything. They said I was the best waiter ever! And NO, I don't want to make a living as a server! Although, it is really decent money...

Matt - I can always count on you. I've set my Puerto Rican-ness from stun to swoon. And I figured you weren't drunk, but it does seem like you could've been.

Anders - A present?? I'm in suspense. If it's another can of soup, I'm eating it.