Ok, that's not entirely true.
Well, yes it is.
A long time ago, in high school, I was dating a friend. Sometime in that relationship I realized that my strong desire to follow the Christian faith did not match her route for a faith journey. Because I was 17, a male, and apparently an idiot, I must have said something to the effect of "God wants me to break up with you." Now, I can't imagine I said it like that, at least I hope not, maybe it was just remembered like that. But the point was there: That the supreme being of the universe figured I shouldn't be dating said girl.
In a new book put out by Smith Magazine, Six-Word Memoirs on Love & Heartbreak, this little tale was told in six words, and placed in the book for national publication. So, for better or worse, I've been nationally published! I wish it could have been under better circumstances. Something like, "Suave Rican saved puppies. Taught love." Alas, that isn't the case. What joyful or woeful line have I helped contribute to literary history?
"Dumped me because God said to."
4 comments:
Oh Dan. :)
You didn't say it EXACTLY like that. Of course not. It was definitely nicer, better spoken and actually heartful. I think I took it that way because, as I told you via email, it's just funnier. And I like making light of situations. If I remember correctly, we started dating with me knowing we'd never get married, so, you know, I guess we were doomed from the start.
Regardless, thanks for not hating me! I'll write a nicer one next time. Maybe:
"High school boyfriend wrote me songs."
or
"Told cheesy jokes, made me swoon."
Or how about
"Nine years later, after everything, friends"
Yeah, I like the last one best. :)
Oh my gosh, I LOVE it.
If it makes you feel any better, I've basically said the same thing... only I wasn't in high school... I was *ah-hem* 24-ish.
Although I'm totally jealous that you were nationally published for such eloquence. Kudos to you, Lauren! And to you, Dan, for being the inspiration!
Ha! Too funny. I ended a relationship with a similar line. My Dad thought I was crazy; he really liked the guy & didn't get the God-thing, even though he's a church deacon... :/
I just realized that I never responded to your question on my blog (several months ago - yikes)! "Who are you?" :) I'm Shana, one of Josh Sabo's friends. I ran across your blog sometime last year & pop in from time to time. Sorry for the late intro!
Lauren - I like the last one best, too. :)
Anders - Maybe you're in the book too! It is on love & heartbreak. And if not, publish your own book.
Shana - Better late than never, I guess. ;) After all those years, did your dad finally get it?
Post a Comment