Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Earliest Known Christian Hymn, by way of basketball

Last night I went to Trinity Christian College in Palos Heights to watch my friend Matt Buren play basketball against my alma mater, Judson College. The good news is that Matt scored some points. The other good news, for some, is that Judson won.

At the game I saw a few Judsonites I had known, including President Jerry Cain. It's funny how a few years apart just changes everything, because while at the game I barely felt a part of Judson. I guess that's a good thing. It means that part of life has passed. But I still missed it.

Speaking of things long gone, here's a link to some ancient music re-creations. The one of note is the earliest Christian hymn that we have record of, which has been simply titled the "Ancient Christian Hymn to the Holy Trinity." For you familiar with Northern Seminary (my school), and know Dr. Cosgrove, this is the hymn he worked on studying from the papyrus of Oxyrynchus, which dates to the 3rd century. He's got a book he's almost done with on this. Crazy.

Here's a translation of what's being sung, in English paraphrase (I hope I'm not breaking any intellectual copyright here...):

Let silence fall, let stars withhold their light
Let them close their shining eyes
Let all the roaring rivers and the winds die down
And as we lift up our hymn to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
Let all the powers add their voices and sing,
"Amen, Amen, strength and praise forever and glory to God
Who alone gives all good things.
Amen, amen."


Blogged with the Flock Browser

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see that Jerry Cain has a blog now? What a man, what a man, what a mighty good man.

Viewtiful_Justin said...

@Andy - Thanks for sharing. That's the kind of tidbit I read blogs for. :-P

And Dan, It's an odd feeling, that something that was a part of your life for so long registers so little on your brain after you leave, isn't it? I was having that feeling the other day.

Lauren said...

I'm still trying to connect the hymn and basketball. Maybe it's that basketball is a good thing... therefore it must come from God... because He is the one who "gives all good things"? Is that the connection? ;)

But on a serious note: that hymn is pretty darn awesome.

And basketball is awesome, too. Just not as awesome as soccer.

Dan said...

Andy - Jerry Cain.. that man. I love his wife.

The "View" - Crazy how it's just not there anymore... I don't know how to explain it, but separating from it is just kinda surreal. It makes it like the place was never a part of life to begin with.

Anders - There was a segue in there somewhere. And the hymn is pretty sweet. Those old dead people know what they're talking about.

elissa said...

Hey Dan
Thanks so much for posting this. I barely know ancient Greek music, other than the little I learned in college. I think a new door has openend for me :)

I can't believe that's a guy singing the hymn.