I had a major failure in the last week. I have often been thinking in the last few weeks about relational ministry and how important it is to intentionally build our lives into those of our friends, families, and neighbors. I live in an apartment complex, and a few months ago a new tenant moved into the apartment below us. Our apartment building is smoke free, but we find that many of the tenants smoke outside. For the last months, cigarette smoke has been flooding into our apartment, consuming our pleasant "Oatmeal cookie" and "Birthday Cake" candles. Jamie and I hosted a small party for the SuperBowl, and about halfway through came the smoke. I stormed out of the apartment, and caught this new tenant walking the halls and smoking.
Now, my failure in this situation is actually just the climactic failure: I should have been building a relationship with this gentleman long before the incident; I hadn't. And in the heat of my frustration/anger, I had no concern for this man's soul or our relationship, but only for the pleasantries of our guests.
I have been thinking, writing, and preaching against exactly what I had done. Moral failures of hypocrisy damage severely the message of Christ and his Church. I have repented, and I am seeking to build a relationship with this man.
4 comments:
It's so much harder after something like that. Good luck there.
I think it's awesome that you're still willing to try to build a relationship with your neighbor...
It always feels harder if you're starting by falling on your face.
Or maybe it's easier... because there's no pedestal from which you need to fall.
thank you for putting up this picture of my husband, it is truly wonderful
Jamie - You are welcome. I'll be seeing you soon! I'm taking a Monday class in Elgin. Woohoo!
Post a Comment