Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Friends by Procrastination

My Facebook status currently reads as follows:

True or False: The number of [one's] own comments on friends' statuses is directly relative to the amount of work one should be doing.

Though I haven't received many responses yet, I'm assuming most will agree. I mean, really. What else is there better to procrastinate with than seeing what friends are up to?

This could be a social networking phenomenon - friends by procrastination. It is best understood as a negative condition:

If I did not have to procrastinate, then we would not interact.

Before the internet, I think the phone was used a lot for this purpose of procrastination. Of course, I was in middle school and had AIM, so I can't say much. But I remember killing time on the phone when my sister was on the computer. Now, since there is an easier method of communication, the phone is reserved for real relationships, and the internet? For whoever is convenient.

I guess I'm wondering this, If I didn't have any of my social networking tools, how many friends would I really be in touch with? I don't have a number, but I know it would be a lot less.

In some ways, it's a good thing. There is nothing negative about having tons of casual acquaintances that you can shout out things like, "Saw a guy in a banana costume and thought of your mom." It's nice to be thought of.

On the same hand, people still use the phone and getting together for their good friends. So that's a good thing.

In conclusion, the internet is a great tool if you're looking for something to temporarily occupy your time. And if you can make relationships (or quasi-thoughtful blog posts) the result of your procrastination, more power to ya.

5 comments:

erin said...

Convenience friends ... this is a new concept to me ... but it seems sadly realistic. I wonder where the line is drawn from acquaintance, to convenience friend, to close friend.

For example, you are a result of convenient blogging. Or, if you'd like, I am your convenience-blogging friend.

So if blogging disappeared, would we keep in touch?

Interesting.

In the meantime, keep procrastinating so we can still be convenience buddies.

Dan said...

Justin - You're one of the examples of someone who I interact with online, but would be sad if we didn't have at least that happening. I mean, after two and a half years?? I'm glad you're convenient!

Erin - Not that I need a reason to continue procrastinating, but your amusement is not a bad one. So I will continue. And if ever one of us should stop blogging, you would be forced to move to Chicago. I mean, really, you can't be planted down in MN already.

Lauren said...

Agreed. I like facebook because it's an easy way to constantly keep in touch with people.

Also, i used to call YOU to procrastinate on school work. Heh.

Dan said...

Lauren - You only used to call because you liked me. In your defense, I didn't mind you calling. ;) But yes, it (Facebook) is such an easy way to keep in touch. Of course, I'm not a fan of the new design, but whatev. I'm not that concerned.

Lauren said...

I procrastinate by reading people's blogs. ;)

But I agree with your thoughts on facebook - I had a similar thought a few weeks ago when I was contemplating why I needed it. "Because it's convenient" was the only answer I could really think of... but you shouldn't base friendships on convenience - at least not the real, true ones.