Tuesday, September 29, 2009

@notontwitter

Has anyone else noticed the crazy amount of Twitter language going on?

It's everywhere. Everyone tweets. I don't even care.

However, I figure that if you don't know why people are putting @ in front of names, and # in front of words, I could help fill you in.

@johndoe - this tags John Doe.
#kentacohut - this, from what I can gather, tags a subject.*

I could be wrong about any of that, but I think it's right. Please correct me if I am in error.

Also, classes started again! It's about time.


*kentacohut is the matchbox name for the building which contains KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut.

5 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

I'm not on Twitter either...it annoys me.

I had a guy type #fail somewhere and I had no idea what the # sign was for...

Got it now. Thanks for the update!

Dan said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused.

I think Twitter has useful purposes, such as using it for target marketing campaigns. But most people just aren't interesting enough to tweet.

Then again, I'm probably not interesting enough to blog, so tweet away!

Lauren said...

You're mostly right. @ means the message is either directed to someone, or you're linking to that person.

So, on Twitter, I could post:
"@dan - want to hang out tonight?" (and that message will go to your) OR "Hanging out with @dan!" (Don't really get WHY people do that one so much, but basically you'll see that you're mentioned in a post. And people can go to your twitter site.)

The hashtags (#) are for subjects. So if I do a post like "#dan is totally stupid," #dan turns into a link. Everyone can then click that and see every other post written by anyone with #dan in it. Got it? Like, I could put "#greysanatomy is awesome" and then see every other post about greys anatomy upon clicking that.

PHEW.

I just became a major dork.

Good luck in school!

Dan said...

Totally helpful! So, would you see everyone's post about grey's, or just the ones by you?

Lauren said...

YAY for classes.

BOO to twitter. I don't understand it... and I feel like it's just another cultural fad I should ignore - like texting.