Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Spagno Cafe - Now Open!

I love local restaurants.

Last week as I was making my normal errand route, one that strategically only necessitates right-hand turns, I saw a "Now Open!" sign on Roosevelt. It looked like a bagel shop from what I could tell. I love breakfast, and while Einstein Bagel Co. is tasty, the vibe in the store on 22nd is not inviting, so I don't like to go there. And Panera is kinda played out.

I made it a point to stop in to that new cafe today. I almost missed it completely, but instead I just missed it a little bit, passing it by one strip-mall's length. The hunger pangs necessitated my completion of this mission, so I about-faced and landed myself right in front of the little shop. When I walked in, I was greeted by a very comfortable looking dining area, fit with tables and booths, and a smiling woman at the register, Susanna.*

After a bit of chit-chat I glanced up at the varietous menu above, and saw exactly what I didn't know I had come for: Banana Nut Pancakes. $6 seemed reasonable for a good breakfast, so I shelled it out in hopeful anticipation. I perused the menu as my morning meal was prepared, and it looked really good! Paninis, hot and cold sandwiches, burgers, pasta, and myriad breakfast options make this a place with great potential, and the pricing is from $5-7. Not bad!

When my breakfast came out, I was delightfully surprised: three large pancakes, layered with bananas, complimented with both butter and whipped cream on the side, and a delicate pitcher of delicious syrup. I stared for a moment, thanked God for pancakes and bananas, sang a Jack Johnson song, and took my first bite. So good! Seriously, they were really, really good.

When I finished eating (there was still half left, which I boxed up), I thanked Susanna and her Albanian/Glen Ellynian helper Nas for the delicious food, and said I'd be back. School's starting, they're open from 6am - 10pm, and they have wi-fi. And since they're equipped with all of the hot beverages you'd want from a cafe I'm sure I'll be enjoying tea, coffee that is made to not taste like coffee anymore, and hot cocoa for those days where I'd rather prepare for a nap than study.

My recommendation: Check it out!

Spagno Cafe
621 E Roosevelt Rd
Lombard, IL 60148

What's your fave local spot, and why?

*I'm fairly certain it was Susanna, but I don't trust my memory for names. I just remember it kinda rhymed with "Dan".

7 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Sweet! I was singing Jack Johnson, too.

My favorite local place is Yen Ching, the local Chinese food haunt. Delicious and inviting!

Rachael Monts said...

So jealous that it wasn't open when I lived there! But it sounds amazing....well all except for the bananas. :)

Hmmmm.....Maybe I can visit it sometime this weekend!

My favorite local spot currently is a little coffee shop/sandwich joint in downtown Danville. I was there this morning! It's called Courthouse Grounds. It's located in a super old building on the town square. Good (and cheap) coffee, great atmosphere, delicious food, and I knew just about every other person that walked in the door. :)

Dan said...

VJ - was it banana pancakes??

Rach - There is something special about having a place where you can sit and see people you know wander in and out. It gives life a small-town feel. That's how it was at Austins Coffee in Orlando, and how I'm hoping it can be somewhere else.

erin said...

Delicate and delicious syrup? You can't go wrong.

Dan said...

Erin - right you are!

Carrie said...

Rach- you meant to say Phil's bakery right?! ;)

For me, I haven't really explored Lombard's local places yet...I'll have to check this cafe out!

In Wheaton, it was La Spiaza. They had live music and I played there, as did you Dan!! I heard they have lousy coffee but lucky for me, I don't drink it! I also LOVE this local breakfast place called Egglectic. Amazing skillets with huge portions!

In Aurora, my other home last year, it was a local coffee/sandwich place called Prisco's. They have live music too and I played there once. And this fantastic hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant across the street from my school. It's called Taqueria Muniz and it has authentic Mexican food and great service. The torta's are delish. Also, great if you want to practice your Spanish, as many workers only speak it.

Lauren said...

Panini XPresso!

And I've decided that when that new cafe opens... the one that's totally between our apartments... that's gonna' become our place. After all, Spagno abandoned us.