Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Registered

It was raining. I was hungry. I was tired. I didn't really care.

But I went.

And I registered to vote.

This being the last day to register, I had to at least try. So, hoping to make it on time, I headed over to the Lombard Village Hall. They asked for an ID. Conveniently, I had my driver's license... from Florida. So they asked for something else. I ran to my car and found a receipt from Sears Auto Center with my current address. "That'll do," I thought.

It did.

Ideally, I would have liked to vote in Florida, where votes matter. But I guess I'll settle for voting in Illinois, because then I can at least do my civic duty.

I have no idea who I'm voting for, really. I'm a little disenchanted with politics in general. But I guess a little blind hope never hurt anyone. So, on November 4, I'll go out and vote with everyone else.

What're your thoughts on voting?

7 comments:

Lauren said...

Woo hoo!

I'm actually really excited about this election. Truth be told, I only just registered this year for the primaries. I really should have voted in the previous election, but i'm a bad citizen. Regardless, I got my vote in on time for the primaries (which, in FL, didn't count. Bah.) Anyway, as stated, i'm excited for November. I'm excited for the debates tonight. I've never been so into politics than I have been this year. I find something inspiring about, I suppose. Or, maybe it's the first time I really had a favorite contender.

Hooray for voting!

Dan said...

Lauren - You were a bad citizen. Your primary may not have mattered, but your Nov. 4 vote will (unlike mine). So you've still got a chance!

Mike Moore said...

Dan

I'm with you. I'm registered but still don't know who do vote for. I'll write your name in on the ballot if you write mine!

Dan said...

Mike - You know, writing someone's name in is probably the best way I can practice my civic duty. I will consider.

Matt said...

voting is for chumps and suckers who want to continue oppressing the weak and the defenseless.

Dan said...

Matt - So is McDonald's. And wouldn't you know I bought McDonald's like 5 times in the past 14 years? Crap.

Seriously, though, not voting won't help the oppressed or weak. So, unless you want to put up an alternative, I'm still voting.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.