Monday, March 29, 2010

The Vocal Dilemma

You don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

It's true.

I sing.

A lot.

I'm in a band. I lead worship at church. I yell out random choruses during my work day to help the time pass. I sing when I'm frustrated. I sing when I'm excited. I just like to sing all the time.

I sing.

I used to sing.

Just like any muscles, the vocal chords don't react well to abuse. I suspect mine are reacting to poor treatment, because my voice has not been well for a couple of months now. Some weekends I would say I over-exerted myself, so a week off would do me well. And it would. Lately, it hasn't been as quick a recovery.

After pretty much any show, the next day my voice, or at least the parts that control my speaking/singing mechanism, is uncomfortable. I've lost a bit of my range. I'm straining to sing where I used to be comfortable. Talking gets tiring. I'm barely singing at church anymore. I don't sing in my free time. I don't know what to do when I'm frustrated. Or how to express joy.

It's incredible how what we do can be such a huge part of who we are. I, for the last 10 years or so, have been a singer. I've either fronted bands, led worship, or just been Dan with the guitar. Any occassion was an occassion to sing. Still, every occassion is one to sing. But I haven't been doing the singing.

I used to sing.

I want to sing.

I'm hoping that some exercises and better treatment will help me get through the next few months, and that some sort of substantial healing will take place. I know I need better technique. (I have the knowledge, I just don't use it. Smart.) I need better breath control. I need to learn how to sing while holding a guitar. There's a lot of re-training to do.

Being unable to sing makes me realize how much I enjoy it. And how much of myself I put into it. I don't just sing. I am a singer. I am a vocalist. I am a harmonizer. I create sound for the sake of art, and for function. sddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddds,mm, cxx

Someone fell asleep at the keyboard.

I want to sing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I've gotten pretty good at your lyrics. I'll be happy to fill in while you recover. :)

Dan said...

Ha, deal! We have the same range. I totally sing like a girl.

Anonymous said...

So, Chris, Becky and decided to rock out to your records on the long drive home Saturday. It was pretty amazing hearing the background commentary for all of songs. According to Chris, there are some stories/videos I still need to see. I can't wait.. ;)

Dan said...

Ha! I'm honored. :) Yep, there are all sorts of stories involved. Lovely.