Today I was working and a guy asked where he could find a book on the Korean War.
Walking him to the section, I asked if he was a Korean War aficionado. He said he was a vet. I should have known, really. He was about that age, I guess. I can only guess because I have no idea when the Korean war was. I didn't even really know there was a Korean war.
That's right.
I didn't know.
Were it not for the signs in the history section, I would have been completely lost. And during this little transaction, I realized I know nothing about a lot of things, including my country's recent history.
It's amazing that the world of information is literally at my fingertips, and I spend most of my internet time on MySpace and Facebook. Maybe I should resolve to take 5 minutes and look up something new everyday on Wikipedia (the only source of information on the internet that is continuously verified by the Holy Spirit).
And maybe you should, too.
DL
1 comment:
In college, while playing a game, my job was to name African countries. I could name about...four. How awful is that?
Over the summer I went through my "I need to learn more about the world!" phase. I'm still trying, slowly trying, but it's hard when there are so many distractions. But I guess that's it, right? Writing a blog or checking facebook shouldn't be a distraction from education.
Bah.
Read "Assassination Vacation" by Sarah Vowell. I adore her writing and that book got me seriously interested in our presidential past.
Post a Comment