Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Post-Christendom

If you're in ministry and already tired of the word "post-modern" (which may not even be the intellectual age we're in anymore), here's a word I've recently picked up. If you're not in ministry, then this might just be good to keep in your utility belt, along with more web cartridges, batarangs, and a grappling hook.

Post-Christendom is best explained by comparison.

At one point, Americans seemed to all know who Jesus was and what church was all about. It was assumed that America lived under Christian values and that most people were at least familiar with Christian values, churches, etc.

We're now in a situation where many young Americans have no concept of what church really is. It isn't given as a truth, rather it is counted among other mythologies. This period is being called post-Christendom.

This definitely effects methods of evangelism and how we understand the story of God. Dave Fitch writes some really insightful stuff on mission in a post-Christian context.

How have you experienced this post-Christendom shift?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At what point have you analyzed this paradigm shift within your culture? Have we not been a "post-Christendom" country for many, MANY years now?

Dan said...

Andy,

We have been moving that way for many years now, probably most notably since the '60s. But I honestly think that even from when I was in high school there was more of an awareness and respect for Christianity. Unfortunately, being challenged on it, I admit that I don't have much to back up my statements aside from a strong hunch.

However, I have met a surprising number of people at my job who do have Christian backgrounds, although they are not practicing Christians. This suggests to me that even in a progressive city like Chicago, we have still not moved entirely into post-Christendom. Rather, we are still on our way.

So, to answer your questions, while I think we have been on our way for many years now, I do not believe we have yet arrived. And I did not notice the paradigm shift until I started reading about it.