Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Finally Home

For many of you reading that, you probably think I'm in Florida, eh?

The hardest part about moving somewhere is trying to make that place, "home." Some say, "Home is where you hang your heart." Pumba said, "Home is where your rump rests." Chris Daughtry says, "I'm going home," which really doesn't fit into the formula, but I'd like to think I'm up with pop songs that came out over a year ago.

Eight months after bringing my stuff to Lombard, IL, I'm finally adjusting to the fact that this is home. What makes it home? It's more than where I sleep, eat and go to school.

1. The majority of people I am in contact with are around me.
2. I know enough places to go eat that aren't corporate.
3. I can find 3 independent coffee shops within 30 minutes driving.
4. I can give directions places.
5. I feel comfortable being here.

For months I just wanted to finish my degree and get out of here, because the midwest isn't that great. But someone asked me why I was in such a rush, and I didn't have an answer. So, I decided to slow down a bit. That was about 5 months ago. Now, at month 8, I'm accepting where I am.

The truth is that home can be wherever you let it be. People ask about how it feels to make the move from Orlando to the midwest, wondering which one is better. I have come to the conclusion that wherever you let yourself really be is going to likely be a good place.

A place to love and be loved.

A place to hear and be heard.

A place to eat and... well, maybe the formula ends there.

I had written a six-word memoir which read "Not there yet; not here, either." It takes time, but I think wherever you are, there you are; so, you might as well be there.

Here I am.

It's not a bad place to be.

Heck, it might even be good.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I really like this post. I think you're right on a number of things--it does take time to make a place your home, to really adjust to it. And though home should be where your heart is, home can also be where you feel comfortable. It took around four months to make Tallahassee my home and I believe the only reason it took so fast was because I made incredible friends quite soon. Tallahassee became my home, not Orlando. Alternately, it took quite a while to make Orlando home again. Although I can comfortably say it is now, I still slip and refer to Tally that way. I guess old habits die hard.

I'm glad to hear that you've made IL your home finally. I think you'll enjoy it much more now. Finally adjusting.

Jackie said...

deep and thoughtful. wity but effective. *Two thumbs up*, senior lugo.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finally making a "home." It's so important to living. Having a place that you can BE comfortable enough in, it's just refreshing.

Dan said...

Lauren - You saying you like my post makes me feel like an accomplished writer. I guess I do respect your opinion! ;)

I can see how coming back could take a while for you to adjust. It took me a while coming back from IL to FL, and now I'm back again.

One thing's for sure: it feels good to call a place "home," and believe it.

Jackie - Thanks! I'm going to go visit you in the blogosphere. :) New friends are always good.

Angela - It sounds like you've made a transition as well. I hope it's going swimmingly for you.