Thursday, November 13, 2008

Blackhawk: Down

Tonight the Chicago Blackhawks retired jersey number 3. I know because I was at the game, and at the retirement ceremony preceding it.

3 was worn by leading defenders Pierre Pilote (1955-1968) and Keith Magnuson (1969-1980), both influential players in the history of the club. Now it will never be worn by another Blackhawks player. That's a pretty huge honor, and I (not a hockey fan) was trying my best to grasp the gravity of it. Even still, I could sense something significant was happening.

Hockey's a special sport. People expect fights, give much more running commentary than other sports, and pretty much everyone is white. Even with all those quirks, I must say it was pretty fun. It's way more fun in real life than on TV, that's for sure.

Oh, and they play the organ. Yep, the exact same organ you would have heard during the years of Michael Jordan and the world champion Chicago Bulls. It's pretty epic.

The Blackhawks lost, but it was still a fun game. I don't think I'm up for any singing tomorrow, as my voice is pretty war-torn. But I think it was worth it.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

6 comments:

erin said...

In Alaska ... we shook cow bells. It helped preserve the voice. (Not that I didn't still yell ... because I did.)

They also threw fish heads on the ice during half time (half time? ... break time, whatever sport junction time it's called in hockey). I'm not so sure about the fish head thing.

Dan said...

Cow bells, yes. Fish heads? Gross.

I think the time between periods is the intermission. Funny, I always thought the thing between two periods was a sentence. (laaaaaame joooooke.)

erin said...

that was a lame joke ... work on that, I'm coming here for the wittyness not the lameness. ;)

Lauren said...

I can't believe I never forced you to come to a hockey game with me. I had to watch Justin play every Saturday for most of high school. Gah.

Anonymous said...

Finally, brother: Finally. Amen, Amen, Amen. You have now arrived.

Dan said...

Lauren - I know! That's kinda crazy. Oh well, I'm a little behind.

Andy - If I would have known how many cute girls went to hockey games, I would've went a long time ago. You were holding out on me.