Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Oh, Dani - Street Fighter II and the like.

Sunday night I was inadvertently challenged by a friend of a friend. She has no idea what she's up against.

Back in the day, I used to play a few video games, because I only owned a few video games. Above Aladdin, Battletoads and Beauty and the Beast (which was ridiculously hard) was my favorite game of all time, Street Fighter II. It was, and is, way better than the other games out there. The combos and special moves weren't ridiculously complex, and there was no way to be uber-cheap about it.

Anyway, I would spend the better part of my life playing SFII. It was relaxing, I guess. This was around the same time I was getting into guitar, so I alternated between the two. But I was better at the game.

Well, this friend of a friend (we'll call her "Dani") is confident that she can beat me in this, my game. Now, it's been a while since I've played, but it's also been a while since I rode a bike, and I'm sure I can do that just fine. She is quite confident in her skill.

To address her taunt, I penned a lyrical retort.

Bring it, sister.

---------

Oh, Dani

It’s true, that you’re winner, no position on your wall
Is without trophy, an award or accolade
Exiting victorious is apparent in your walk
It seems there’s only one mistake you’ve made
You see you’ve thrown a gauntlet down, you’ve taken off your gloves
You’re asking for a street fight in the rain
With a vision of your victories in your perfect polished den
You never thought that mine could look the same

Dani, oh Dani
If you wanna play, I’ll beat you at your game
Oh Dani, well, Dani
You think you hold the reign, but all the same
I’ll beat you at your game

Your mind is fit for fighting, but your legs can’t walk the walk
You’ve been riding your own coat tails for so long
You keep on button-pushin so I know you talk the talk
But could you, would you speak, admitting you were wrong?

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Wait wait wait. If i recall correctly, there was one time when I actually beat you at SF2. ONE TIME!

If this is a lie, I'm going to continue pretending that it happened. It makes me feel so good about my video game skills. :)

(P.S. Chun Li is still the best. Just saying. )

Anonymous said...

Can I challenge you to a little game called Dr. Mario?

Dan said...

Lauren - you beat me at least one time. You are a formidable opponent!

Andy - I'd take you any day. I would lose, ... but I would take you.