Today is a holiday rooted in American (particularly United States American) history. Puritans, pilgrims and cornucopias, all assembled (even the cornucopias) to give thanks to their God for finding a new freedom away from their oppressors across the pond.
I work at a Mexican restaurant and consider myself somewhat culturally aware; yet I was still surprised to realize how many of those coworkers who came from Mexico see Thanksgiving as just another day. (I guess it doesn't make too much sense to give thanks when a people invaded your continent and killed most of the inhabitants through violence and disease.)
Even through its past religious particularity, and through its sense of national pride, I think Thanksgiving is a great holiday.
I hold the belief that giving thanks can make the world a better place. This is because giving thanks breeds humility. It's hard to stay mad at someone, or not like someone, if you can find something, anything, to say "thank you" for. I have found that thanking someone, especially when they don't expect it, often creates an atmosphere of respect and like-ability (not drinkability). It raises the atmosphere of consideration and concern for well-being.
Today, I am thankful for more than I can think of, but less than I could be. There is so much to be thankful for. Even if Thanksgiving is just another day for you, consider taking on an attitude of Thanksgiving, and let me know how your world becomes a little bit better of a place.
2 comments:
Samir came down from gville for Thanksgiving this year. It was, pretty much, his first real Thanksgiving. YAY!
Well, good. I hope it's making his world a better place. :)
Post a Comment