Friday, November 7, 2008

Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar? A grammatical effort.

For some reason I though it would be a good idea to write a song using a lot of pronouns.

I'm a nerd.

So, what better way to do that than to try and solve the age-old mystery of who stole the cookie from the cookie jar? It's kind of dark, musically. You'll have to imagine it. For now, I hope the poetry will amuse you.

--------

Was it he?

A small child not amused with toys

Too preoccupied for an innocent boy

Could the chocolate and sugar that he has enjoyed

Be the reason he is acting so paranoid

Will we see?

Was it he?

Was it she?

Little girls should be sugar and spice

But if they need a refill they won’t think twice

If the jar is left open or closed it’s no hindrance

For her mastermind tricks and her quick disappearance

Houdini with a penchant for mischievous themes

Could it be?

Was it she?

Was it they?

Could it be that they would work as a team

Silly and unselfish as that may seem

It would be proper and fitting to propose such an action

When one plays the thief and one more the distraction

Their powers are stronger uniting their factions

And their deviance more than was ever imagined

Who will say?

Was it they?

Was it you?

You pretend that you care all along

With a sense of intrigue over righting the wrong

Keep your friendships close, but your enemies closer

Your actions are gross but your motives are grosser

Slipped your hand about to the side of the toaster

To procure a trophy just the size of a coaster

When the citizens see you, they’ll turn white as ghosts for

Your face shall be pasted on a most wanted poster

All for a snack, for a nibble at most

Is it true?

Was it you?

Would you guess, could it ever be

The accuser would become the final accusee

An offense so vile, so evil, so grave

That the victim at work was the killer at play

And the final crumb of evidence would be in the possession

Of the one who would finally say

Was it me?

3 comments:

Lauren said...

WOW. You turned a simple rhyme into a dark song. GO YOU!

For starters, I have to say everytime I hear the word "toaster" I think of you. "It's a toaster!"

Anyway. I like it! I think it's really well done and super fun. I especially love the last night, as it sums it up nicely. (I also really like pronouns). Also, high five for the Houdini shout out! What a neat take on the rhyme.

Now i want to hear it with music!

Dan said...

La - Yea, dark songs! and toasters, haha. Pronouns make me think of you. And Houdini! That's partly how I knew you'd like it.

I guess I'll have to try and record it now...

Anonymous said...

haha! Awesome! Any poem/song that uses "grosser" is a winner with me!

Great job!