Tonight, both my life and my job may have been put in danger.
First, my life.
Since Katie is not feeling well I need to walk to work. The three minutes of sun, drizzle, breeze, or absolute darkness aren't so bad.
Unless there are coyotes.
Tonight I was taking my normal stroll, and up ahead of me on the path was, yes, a coyote. It was running, then it stopped, and stared straight in my direction as I was walking toward it. I am unsure of the likelihood that a coyote would attack a human in the suburbs, but I'd like to think it is high. Especially since I smelled like Mexican food, which coyotes love.
What could I do? I didn't want to try to walk toward it and hope it would ignore me, like I would to a goose. Nor did I want to walk away, for fear that the trip back into the overshadowed path would encourage it to try and eat me. So, I reached into the recesses of my past, and remembered the last experience I had with suburban coyotes.
That night, outside of my pastor's house, my friend Mary Beth (a native Arizonian) and I were outside and confronted by suburban coyotes, albeit at a distance. I freaked out, but not MB. She started stamping and clapping and yelling, "Ay ay ay ay!" (Read it more like a long "a" sound than a Mexican fiesta chant, which would likely have attracted the coyotes.) The wild beasts ran away, and we were safe.
So, I imitated my Arizonian amiga. I stamped my feet, and I clapped my hands. I didn't yell, though. I figured I'd save a little more gusto in case it started running at me and I needed to surprise it. And, you know what happened? It ran away. Instead of eating my face, it ran away. And I made it home safely.
Now, my job.
A dessert had been placed upon a tray, ready to be carried out to a table, when a small piece of said dessert fell off of the plate, and onto the tray. This small bite would obviously have been thrown away, so a coworker standing by eyed it, looked at me, and then eyed it again. Our conversation went something like this:
Me: "If you're gonna eat it, don't be sneaky about it. That justs looks suspicious. Just eat it."
Him: "You think so?"
"It's just gonna get thrown away. Whatever, man."
As he ate it, a manager saw him and totally called him out on it. Like, seriously.
Panic struck.
Later on, as I was leaving work, I told said manager the story, that it had fallen off the plate, and that I had peer pressured him into it. He wasn't just flippantly eating off of people's plates. In fact, he would never do such a thing. The response was that he could potentially have lost his job for that. I said it was probably more my peer pressure than him just eating food.
The response? It was something like, "Ok. Good night."
That did not sound promising.
7 comments:
How does one come about the knowledge that coyotes like Mexican food? Is this common knowledge that I am just uncommonly learning?
I'll cross my fingers for your job safety. But it would be a lame thing to get fired over.
http://www.newportbay.org/coyotest.htm
It's a good thing your coyote still had a fear of humans.
Eep. I'm glad you still (potentially?) have your job. Yikes.
Oh...AND your life! I guarantee it wouldn't attack you...
Erin - Stick with me, kid. I'll teach you many amazing things.
Anders - I guess I did the right thing, more or less? Good advice from the experts.
VJ - In this economy, I guess it is more important to maintain work than breath. That is the only reason I'll excuse the order of your comments. (mr. afterthought...)
So true...Coyotes love them some Mexican food...I am so glad I could save your life!!! :o) That story made my night!
I CAN NOT believe you Ay AY Ayed a coyote. I need video proof. Stat.
(Also, awesome.)
Post a Comment