If she were a Honda, I would say she broke on her own accord.
Katie Corolla is down for a bit. I was driving and heard something snaptacular in the engine. Like any dude would do, I pulled over and popped the hood, as if I knew what I should be looking for. The engine was still there, so I got back in and continued my 15 minute trip down the freeway.
When I arrived at my friend's house I again popped the hood, got on Google, and tried to figure out why (a) my battery light was on, and (b) why my power steering was out. Turned out it was because (c) my alternator belt had broken. That explained the snapping noise under the hood.
So, I stayed overnight and fixed the belt the next morning. I felt like such a dude. I can fix cars! That's something that automatically makes a guy feel especially manly.
Just as quickly as it was fixed, nay, even quicker, something else went wrong. The crankshaft pulley (aka wheel connected to the engine that makes all the belts go) fell off. Yeah, that's right. It just fell off. All the belts came loose.
Great.
One step forward, two steps back.
I can't fix that without the tools, so now I've got to have it towed to a shop. La-a-ame.
There are lessons to be learned here:
1. Anyone can fix cars. I mean, if I can, you can.
2. Always have a snack handy in case you get stuck somewhere.
3. No matter how good you feel about something, there's something else that will humble you right after.
8 comments:
the terminals on my car battery stopped turning. baking soda, water, and elbow greased fixed that problem and Tank has been running smoothly since.
Matt - Way to go! So many people wouldn't try to fix that on their own. You get bonus mechanic points.
Poor car :(
See, that's why I keep my brother around - he can fix cars FOR me!
La - I never thought about that added bonus! And for some reason I wasn't convincing my sisters to be photographers for gorgeous, kind-hearted young ladies.
You're hilarious. That's all I have to say.
Of her own accord...oh Dan. I am shaking my head at you and chuckling.
That's the kind of thing that makes me miss you.
4. Always have your car break down by your pastor's house, so he let you spend the night. (Or in my case,rescue you from the highway and send you home with a friend.)
Erin - I just want my blogging to match the quality of my layout.
VJ - My other friends would tell you not to encourage that humor... ;)
Anders - so true! From one who has been there, and done that. Good call.
Post a Comment