I've begun the new quarter!
- He writes, with an exclamation point. -
Yes, that was intentional. And no, it wasn't sarcastic, though many would likely expect that after last quarter. Why? I'll tell you.
A few weeks ago, I was ready, so ready to be done. I wanted to be finished with school and never do it again. Just get me out of here. But now, I'm rather enjoying it. I think it's because I enjoy the classes I'm taking.
Monday - Missiology in Church and Culture (An anthropological view of missions and ministry.
I've never had an anthropology course, and this seems like it'll be interesting. My critique so far is that the first two weeks were a lot of repetition. I'm hoping we move on to more material soon. I've really enjoyed considering the implications of "form and meaning" in Christian worship, and how that can be a constraint or freeing agent in the local church.
Tuesday - Pastoral Counseling
This should be okay, I think. Again, there's some repetition, which is a little annoying, but makes the reading that much easier. I've gleaned a couple tiny bits of wisdom so far, and drawn some pretty fun comics, "Adventures of Pastor Jim!" modeled after a friend in class and his terrible skillz.
Thursday - Developing Emergent Leaders
This has been the most enjoyable so far, and challenging. It's asking what an emergent leader is, what shared leadership looks like vs. traditional hierarchy, and whether business model leadership is applicable to church leadership because they both aim for a very different end. The conversations in an out of class really add to the discussion.
So, there you have it. It's not groundbreaking, but it's life.
Anybody learn anything lately?
2 comments:
I'm learning that I have a lot of questions about what leadership in missional communities who offer pastoral care to one another might actually looks like; but I echo your appreciation of the leadership class thus far. Some good discussion has taken place.
Last quarter in pastoral care our group presented on pastoral care within the community.
Our conclusion, which probably won't surprise you, is that when authentic relationships are formed, pastoral care happens. It's just a natural flow of life.
Not groundbreaking, but truth is always refreshing.
Post a Comment