Friday, April 30, 2010

Teaching Worship?

I've got a lot to offer.

The Inciting Incident

I met a student at Trinity last week, a friend of a friend. We'll call her MJ. (Mostly because I'm watching Spider-Man.)

MJ: "I'm going to lead worship for the youth group at my church, and I have no idea what I'm doing!"

DL: "Well, if you need any help or insight, that's kinda what I've done for the past 8 years or so. I was a worship arts major, and I've led worship for all sorts of different events. Find me on Facebook if you want."

The Development

So, she found me on Facebook via our mutual friend and sent a message. It asked if I would be willing to show her some things, or give some tips. I thought to myself, "Self, there is so much that could be shared! Where should I start?" Instead of guessing, I decided to give her the options.

"Well, that's a hugely broad subject. There are plenty of smaller areas:

- What is/Why do we worship?
- planning a liturgy/service
- selecting music for a service
- finding new music
- leading a rehearsal
- leading a service
- developing a team
- musicianship, instrumentation and arranging (instrumental and/or vocal)


It's an overwhelming list, I know. There's always room to be a better worship leader, and always ways to grow.

Any of those particularly interest you? "


She picked a few, so I guess we'll start there. But it really got me thinking.

The Thinking

Is there a way I can assist several people in worship leadership? Is one-on-one the best way to go? Should I think about developing a format? Should I keep these thoughts on a blog?

Because I can't directly lead worship due to my voice, this indirect leadership may be something really great. (I was encouraged in this teaching route by Matt, and then really encouraged about indirect leadership by Dr. Colwill, how it's one way God enlarges our sphere of influence.)

Basically, I'm excited to move forward. I'm just not sure how to.

Thoughts?

9 comments:

Matt said...

Well, the discipleship route is super neat because you can start to formalize that into patterns and thoughts you have had. then you can take those formalize thoughts and give them to people you are not as close with. I think you know to start with a solid philosophical/theological foundation instead of just functional. have a reason for what songs are picked and why. I think that is my thoughts on it. although you maybe if you asked the question in a different way i could have a better response.

So just find one to two new worship leaders and pour into them.

Anna said...

"teaching worship" that is brilliant

Anonymous said...

I think you're on to something awesome by teaching worship. You DO have a lot to offer and I think you'd be great at it.

At this point, my initial opinion would be to focus on mentoring/coaching individuals. Each person you encounter that has a desire or opportunity to lead others in worship will be so different. You are dealing with different hearts, styles, skill levels, seasons in God, etc. By beginning to work with them, you can discover how you adapt/impart your experiences and advice to help a variety of eager worship leaders. This also gives you the chance to learn a lot about yourself as a teacher. Be open to new things! God works inside and outside the box of what has been done. Look for that. Also, as you teach, continue to dive into learning more about worship as a lifestyle. Worship leading extends beyond the stage.

Eventually, I would totally encourage you to take what you've learned and what you've taught and ....WRITE! Don't think "format" as much as guidelines and advice for impactful leadership. You have a wonderful ability to pair the importance of technicality and musicianship while keeping focused on seeking the heart of God. (We have both been to services where one or the other lacks, but the latter definitely reigns.) AND God has given you an ability to write that is meant to be used way beyond blogs. It's true. :)

I'm excited for you!

Dan said...

Matt - Thanks, bro. I think you're right about the philosophical/theological part. I had the same thought. It really hit home when I considered Bonhoeffer's "Life Together". I opened it up and BAM! was totally hit by Jesus in the face. And loved it.

Finding one or two to pour into sounds good.

Anna - I'll take that as a yes? ;)

Linz - I really appreciate your comments. Each person does learn differently. How would I adapt to teach different people? I have no clue. But it sounds like a great place to start.

Part of me wants to go teach the whole world right away, but that's just my silly eagerness. I think finding a couple of people to mentor will be so much more fruitful in the long-run.

And yes, worship does extend way beyond the stage. And it's crazy how whatever is flowing into a leader when she's offstage flows back out onstage.

Anna said...

i believe that we all have more to offer than we realize.

this is how you move forward: put one foot out in front of the other and hope you can keep your balance (shhhh that's my secret)

Jean Sharp said...

Dan,
Your blog reminds me of Warren’s “Worship Round table”. I think there are plenty of young leaders who are looking for mentors in this field—and for good reason! I love going to Warren’s discussion, but always walk away saying—we could have gone deeper, talked about so much more! There are so many conversations I’d love to have with fellow leaders. And yet, I’m not ready to jump to the “Worship Leader Mag” group. There’s something about Mass-media attempts that just don’t work. I want a localized discussion with people that I trust and can dialogue with.
What if you were to create a blog forum, where a grouping of friends who are interested in dialoguing about worship—theology and practicality? Everyone can share with each other revelations, questions, new music, or just support? Then, as people ask about starting in Worship, you can ask them to join the discussions and ask their questions, too!

Dan said...

Jean - I like where your head's at. I'm also not into those mass-media attempts. It's not because I don't think I can gain something (OK... that is what I think. I'm arrogant about it), but I think the localized agenda would be more fruitful.

I'm actually skeptical of the blog format. As busy as life is, I would love to sit and dialogue with worship leaders, or have threads out to a few key people whose opinions I am seeking on a particular subject. Maybe that's because I have so many blogs I try to keep up with.

But I do think you're on to something. We can go deeper; we can have those/these conversations. I guess we just need one person to prompt the conversation, and others to sing along.

Dan said...

Jean - Strangely, contrary to what I just said, I'm getting together tonight with a friend who wants to dialogue about a worship music blog of some sort!

I guess if the blog supplements the personal interaction, I would be more likely to jump on board.

What do you think?

Jean Sharp said...

Yeah, I like the idea of a blog, because with everyone's schedules, I think it would be more fruitful. And I think there is a place for interaction online. I think there are pros and cons, just like in person. Maybe you can coordinate a few "get together" events, too. Then you have a balance.

I did a shared blog with a small group, where we gave administrator rights to multiple people. It worked out well since multiple people could publish.

Though, in true Worship Arts form, I am less interested in a Worship MUSIC blog, and more interested in talking about worship, arts, and liturgy (music included, just not exclusive).

:)

jean