Or... "My Life Feels Plain"
Yesterday, while reading The Making of a Leader, I had words put to what I have suspected for a while.
I am a plateaued leader.
It happens to everyone at different stages. I guess I've hit mine. I feel like I'm not getting any better at, well, anything.
Again, this sounds so much more depressing than it actually is. Don't worry, I'm emotionally stable, and everything's good.
When do we stop getting better at things? Is it when the challenge is gone? Is it when no one is pushing us to do better? Is it when we have no desire to do better? Is it when we're tired of doing whatever it was we had been doing?
I'm sure it can be any or all of the above, and more.
I wonder if breaking through a weight-lifting, running, or dieting plateau has anything to say about breaking through a personal growth plateau.
Anyone have any experience in those?
6 comments:
you know, if you start from rock bottom you have no where to go but up. I mean hell i go from a school where no one really liked me more then 2 or 3 people to i have a whole community. I have TWO communities, my school and my church. so yeah i have that going for me.
M@ - That's a good perspective. Thanks for chatting the other day! I've been considering what this might mean for my life and ministry, and it's been good.
A book, "The Making of a Leader" by Fullers own Bobby Clinton is really helping me out, too.
Dan, you may feel like you hit a dead spot, but that certaintly isnt the case. i believe that we are unaware of how good we really are in current situation, but eventually we will look back and see how great we have become
Anna - thanks for the encouraging words. :)
The truth is, sometimes we do hit dead spots. I know I do. And usually it's a result of some sort of laziness. That's part of my current issue.
A plateau may be broken by a new challenge. Lately, I haven't had any new challenges (I don't think), so I've been getting bored, and plateauing.
The hope is that after a breakthrough, we'll be able to look back and see how we've grown, how God has redeemed the situation, and how we can use it to teach others.
At least I hope so. :)
of course we hit dead spots!! look at me! what have i not encountered in my life so far?? (the list is endless and it clearly continues)
see i dont really know if i agree about this breaking of the plateau with a new challenge....why do you need a NEW challenge?? why cant you break through with a current challenge that you have?? that is of course if you have absolutely NO challenges pending in your life (which if you do, then i will praise you for)...
a challenge is a challenge no matter how great or small it is...maybe you just need to go back to the small ones and see if they truly have been overcome??
stop getting all Mary J Blige on here with the breakthrough (hehe)...now the question is, do you that you have not grown as a person??
Anna - As much as I want to argue, maybe there are some smaller challenges I need to break through first.
Like getting an IL driver's license...
Post a Comment