Saturday, February 6, 2010

Red Mango

It called me, and it frightened me.

Ever seen one of those stores that you're not really sure what it is inside by the name? For instance, I for years thought Tuesday Morning was a breakfast place. You know, breakfast happens in the morning, so why not? Yep. I was wrong. But I did end up finding breakfast.

Red Mango tops my current list of ambiguous store titles. I've seen it tucked over by Jamba Juice and Dunkin' Donuts, but in the strip mall it somehow falls just beyond convenient sight lines, so I never knew what it was. From what I could gather, it's a place where women got their nails done, some sort of salon, or perhaps a fashion boutique.

All of those were wrong.

Red Mango is a frozen yogurt shop. I was right about the fashion, though. It is mighty trendy inside. At least that's what I gathered in the 12-seconds I was in the shop. I was on my way somewhere else, but I had to see what was inside.

What is it that makes us anxious? My first guess is "anxiety." But since I learned in middle school that we can't use the word in the definition, I'm not sure what it is. I was anxious walking into this place, though. Probably because I thought it was a salon, and I totally didn't belong. Regardless, curiosity finally won, and I went in. Awkwardly enough, it was all women. That furthered my females-only suspicion, and I decided I didn't want to hang too long.*

It almost reminded me of Cold Stone. I don't think they were doing any mixing, but I saw frozen yogurt, and toppings of plenty sorts. The on their site I learned that they're really healthy frozen yogurt. And they're kosher. That's cool, I guess. I've never had a jonesin' for frozen yogurt, but if I do I can go there.

I was interested by their probiotic iced teas. Why probiotics? Because they can potentially help your digestive and immune systems. Go fig. And apparently, the antioxidants in tea help prevent against free radicals. Hey, that's what lycopene does!

Now, faithful reader, you know something about Red Mango. If anyone goes, let me know what you think. And if I go, I'll give you an update.

*Wait a second, that's where the women are hiding? Maybe I'll be back sooner than I thought.

3 comments:

IVMarz said...

There's a place up here called berrywise that sounds like the same concept. The flavors are funky - green apple, honeydew, california tart? - to regular ones like chocolate and vanilla. The toppings are impressive - all sorts of fruit, candy, cereal (Cap't Crunch) and some random "Asian" sweet toppings [as described by the guy behind the counter]. You pay by the ounce so it could be dangerous. I'll take ya when you're back down next time ;o)

Oh, and anxiety is caused by fear.

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Yikes, man...you got spammed.

I LOOOOVE frozen yogurt serving bars. They're EVERYWHERE in California, and we ate at several while we vacationed there last year. Oh man...I may have to hunt this place down!

Dan said...

V - Sounds yummy! I'll totally take you up on that, hopefully before Christmas.

And the anxiety thing totally makes sense, and explains why I've been anxious all day. Random, I know, but a timely definition.

VJ - I totally got spammed! I'm guessing it's b/c I used health words. I don't know. Lame anyway.

Good luck finding one. Let me know how it is.