I may be making up a new word. Or not. Either way, I'm too disinterested to look it up.
I had this realization last semester while trying to get into my seminary learning:
I'm not a huge fan of reading.
Well, that's not entirely true. I love the idea of reading. I even enjoy getting the information. But really, if I could get it another way, I would. And I think my favorite way would be through discussion. And this is where we come to today's word(s): dialogical learning.
I am drained by sitting down reading books for hours. I found that out the hard way during the first month of last quarter. However, I am energized to learn when I can discuss what I've been learning and when others tell me what they're learning. This dialogue isn't the way western learning normally happens, but I think it is a great way for some of us who really aren't into just reading.
Therefore, I'm looking forward to dialoguing (sp?) about different topics, ideas and subjects in the quarters to come in order that we might all benefit from each other in a diaological learning experience.
Any education folks out there able to give some sort of creedance to any of this?
DL
1 comment:
Dialoguing--to converse in a dialogue.
it's a word! You would be a dialoguer. Seriously.
As a previous teacher, dialoguing is actually one of THE most important aspects of learning. For instance, take learning a language. You can read all about how to say "where is the library" in spanish, but not until you actually converse with someone, do you actually understand it and learn to memorize it. Talking helps you learn, plain and simple.
For my students, I could lecture all day about the importance of the theme of friendship in "Of Mice and Men," but not until I had them talk to me about their best friend, about how far they'd go for their friends, etc...did they really understand the them.
See, you're right. Dialoguing is super important and is as important as reading.
However--without reading, where do you get the info to dialogue about? :)
P.S. Donde esta la bibliotecca?
Post a Comment