Thursday, January 22, 2009

What's in a name?

For about 16 months now, my good friend Ian and I have been creating music. It's evolved from harder rock to swingy-pop, and now to somewhere in the realm of pop-folk. Really, the whole thing has been a blast.

The only part of the creative process that has been draining is picking a name for ourselves. We originally were planning on being a band of several people, but we've whittled it down to the two of us, and even still, with two people, we can't come up with a name. Here are some of the most recent suggestions/rejects:

Bi-Polar Bears
Hi-Five and Counting
Wilfred
Greyscale
Greysnail
Mr. Most Likely
Of Lion's Quarrel
Altamonte Sprung

There are countless more. What's in a name? Coldplay? Haste the Day? Hoobastank? Surely Greysnail is just as good. Okay... maybe not Greysnail. But you get what I'm saying?

I'll keep you posted on what happens. We're planning on playing shows beginning in April. We'll be shooting for smaller cafes and hopefully The Union for the Spring schedule. We'll hopefully have a recording or two, some sweet merch, a worthy purpose.

And a name.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

What's wrong with Dan and Ian? Your parents clearly liked those names. ;)

Sorry. I'm too tired this morning to be helpful.

Dan said...

Yeah, anything before 8 a.m. and I'm useless, so i don't blame you.

Lauren said...

What ever happened to 2 cool shoes? Or whatever the name was that you mentioned at Borders?

Dan said...

Beautiful Shoes and Too Beautiful Shoes were both rejected.

If only our music fit "hi-five for friendship", we'd totally do that.

Anonymous said...

Wilfred!

definitely Wilfred!

J Joy B said...

WIL...FRED! WIL...FRED! WIL...FRED!

i hear them yelling it now...

and i agree with anonymous...

wilfred!

(but no exclamation point in the name... that's just my excitement!)

Dan said...

Alright anonymous. Are you Ian...

JJ - I agree. It would be a great chanting name. Hmmm...