It's my favorite time of the year.
Sure, for many people Christmas-time is their favorite. And why not? A break from all the normal hustle and bustle to be hustled and bustled by family and friends? That's not so bad. There are all the once-a-year cookies, pies, magic cookie bars, coquito (or egg nog, if that's your culture), lights, sounds, smells, tastes, and the feeling of brisk cold along each part of your skin.
This, for the five senses, is the most wonderful time of the year.
I'm glad that this year, like last, I'm not working retail/sales. In years past much of the joy that should surround the season was torn away and cast aside like wrapping paper due to my position in Christmas commerce. This year I'll be able to avoid the preoccupation with shopping and gifts, which I'm glad for.
I don't want to sound like a Grinch. (Given the choice between that and a seasick crocodile, I'd pick the seasick crocodile.) I'm a fan of gifts and sharing family time together, especially after seeing my nephew this past year take so much joy in it, and being able to see the family I really only see once a year. What makes me sad about the gift thing is it distracts from the season of Advent - the season of anticipation.
Some are waiting for Christmas morning, wondering what gift might be under the tree.
Some are waiting for those days when family will all be home.
Some are waiting for classes to end, and a much needed break.
But those waiting for the first Christmas were anticipating something else. They were anticipating liberation, the end of an old order, and the start of something completely different.
I hope to explore this theme of anticipation this year, and I hope to keep you along on the journey.
"Restore us, o LORD God Almighty;
make your face shine upon us,
that we may be saved."
3 comments:
my christmas plans this year involve staying staying in cali alone. looking forward to it.
Hm. Waiting. Anticipation. I suppose then all that's left for me to do is wait in anticipation for what yu ned up saying about this.
Thanks for the refocus.
Matt - Are you really?
VJ - my plezh.
Post a Comment