Friday, December 11, 2009

The Whole Earth?

An excerpt from my morning's journal.

"The whole earth is full of His glory."

I've read Isaiah 6 many times. Today, these words jumped out.

The whole earth? Really? What does that mean? Created things? What about broken things? I don't feel like the earth is full of God's glory.

But, the angels seem to think so. I guess they have a different perspective. They say this even as Isaiah is being commissioned to rebuke his people, Israel. Even when God's own people have turned away, when he is at the end of his rope with them, when no one is listening and everything is broken, "the whole earth is full of His glory."

That's an encouraging thought. But, what do I do with it?

- Live in the earth as you would live in His presence.

---------

How's the Advent season treating you? Or is it not?

What's everyone experiencing this holiday season? Thoughts, feelings, concerns? I'd love to hear!

2 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

This is the first time I've been in church at a church that celebrates advent. It's interesting, the waiting. The celebration of the waiting of Christ's coming...or more so, his return.

Dan said...

VJ - Those last two words are crucial. I think glossing over Advent means glossing over this future reality. It's the whole "already, but not yet" idea, where Jesus and his kingdom are already present, but they're not yet fully actualized.

What kind of church are you at now that celebrates it?