Today I woke up rested. I vaguely remembered hearing someone in the shower at some point. Then when I awoke I had the strange feeling that everyone from the apartment was gone.
That's because it was 11 a.m. How does that happen? I slept for over 10 hours. Oh well. Now I'm trying to catch up on my day, which is obviously done best by writing a blog.
In case you didn't know, because I didn't, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is the top selling jazz album of all time. I went to Borders and asked my friend Kevin for an essential jazz album (I was looking for something a little different, and had a 40% off coupon). He handed me the recently released re-issue of this classic album. It being my first jazz album, I was excited.
I'm not gonna lie, it made me feel like I was at Panera. It put Steve to sleep. But, it was enjoyable. I liked it. It sounded like they were playing right in the living room, and they were playing very well.
Jake said it would be my gateway drug into jazz, and I really wouldn't mind. There's about a million jazz albums, so why not get started? I think next I'll go for some John Coltrane.
Any suggestions?
3 comments:
I think i prefer seeing a jazz performance live rather than listening to a CD of it. It's nice background music, though!
Coltrane's "A Love Supreme." There's a great live jazz spot downtown but it's pricey and you can't stay longer than 2 hours.
Lauren - I hear one needs to be eased into it. we'll see.
Adam - I'll put that album on the list. I've never been to a live jazz club. I think it'd be pretty happenin. (do the kids still use that word?)
Post a Comment