It seems like such a short time ago that there was snow on the ground.
Apparently it's been a whole year. Go fig'.
It's funny how things from so long ago seem so familiar. Normally it's a smell. Every Christmas there's a certain spice blend on the stove at my house that reminds me of the amazing treats to come, and whenever I smell anything like it, I think, "It smells like Christmas."
Yesterday I was traveling over to the library. Beneath my feet the ice was crunching as it gave way to my hulking 160 lb. frame. I was instantly taken back to last winter when I was walking along the edge of the road crunching ice beneath my feet just for fun. It was as if spring and summer never happened. The year just fell.
And for once, I don't mind.
I decided that this year, instead of B & M-ing, I'm just gonna say, "Bring it on, winter." Because it's gonna come anyway. I kind of enjoyed this first snowfall. I didn't so much enjoy scraping all the ice and snow off my car this morning, but it's all part of the gig. Every part of life can be good with a positive outlook, right? Right.
Until next time,
DL
10 comments:
I like the idea of just giving in, like you said. It's going to happen anyway, so why fret, why complain about it? Just accept it and make the best of it. It's a nice way to look at the new season.
Also, hot cocoa and apple cinnamon spices smell like Christmas to me. :) Are you coming home this month?
Wait, you are up to 160 pounds? I didn't know that you gained 60.
I love the smell of fall. Frosty crisp air that smells like damp cold dirt and leaves. But Pine trees smell like Christmas to me. We almost always had a real tree in the house. I remember when I was little (and could do this because I was light back than) and I used to try to walk as softly as I could on top of the crunchy layer of snow, trying not to break it. It was almost like I was defeating the snow. Good times.
We don't have much snow yet, send some my way Okay?
Lauren - Have you ever tried chai cider? It's pretty delicious. I recommend it at your local coffee shop. And yes! I'll be home on the 18th!
Andy - Stop teasing me. it's a disorder.
AKSis - I don't much remember the smell of fall. I think it's because my nose doesn't work too well. At least not for smelling. It's running pretty good right now. :P
I'll try and send some snow to you, once you walk on water. or ice. It's only fair.
That's not fair at all! Well ... a little, but not really. And my name is Erin, not AKSis ... do I need to change it on my blogger? AlaskaSis is left over from joining blogger to keep in contact w/ my sisters. You can't call me AKSis, I'm not your sister! That's just crazy talk.
"Erin" - I like AKSis, because it sounds like "axis". I also like "quotation marks". So, I'll just call you "Erin".
I'll trade you a bit of Texas sunshine for some snow ...
Me! (Thaaaaat's my name, toooo.) - I'll gladly take some warmth. We've got plenty of blinding sunlight. But, yeah, I'll see what I can do. You and "Erin" and Lauren... all of you can have snow.
What happened to the "Bring it on, Winter" attitude when we were scraping your car? ;)
But that's when winter starts to kick my butt.
That and when I slip on the ice and fall into my neighbor's car. "Crunch." I like to think I was just trying to fully relate to your blog post... but maybe I should just focus on the smells of Christmas...
Anders - I think it's crazy how slippery the ground next to the car gets. Scraping ice off a car is certainly a good way to go careening into the ground.
Post a Comment