I am currently watching the broadcast of the inauguration. Joe Biden has been sworn in.
Over the past few months I have experienced something that I would not understand on my own. From spending time with my African-American workmates, classmates and church...mates, I have learned how much this new president means to a people who have not only been the minority, but have been treated as a minority.
I'm Puerto Rican, but I'm considered a typical white American. I'm second generation born in the
As I talk to so many different people, especially black Americans (not all are African), I am realizing how huge this event today is, that a black person would be the figure-head and leader of the United States of America. For many of us, it is another president. But for the black community, it is a beacon of hope. It is a prayer for a guiding light. And it means more to some than others could ever imagine.
I've been trying to wrap my head around that, and it's taking quite a bit. The more conversations I have with older people who lived through the civil rights movement, the more I get it. The more I hear from those who are still oppressed today, the more I get it.
I don't know what all this will mean for our country, or for our world, but I pray that this glimpse of hope for some will turn into a united effort to work toward a better world.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
The Inauguration of Barack Obama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I saw a similar thing happen in Bolivia: the first indigenous president was elected. It showed the people that they finally had a voice - that they no longer had to hide in the shadows and believe that they were invisible. It was incredible...
It was also really hard to see the change when Evo disappointed his constituents. He had become a dream and an ideal, but he was still human. Turning a person into a symbol is always a bit dangerous and can lead to disillusionment.
Nonetheless, inauguration day was historic and full of promise. And it was a dream fulfilled for MANY people. Quite amazing...
I feel honored to have lived through such a moment... even if I did just have to read the transcript of his speech on my computer (and mentally analyze the rhetorical strategies used) since I was stuck in my cubicle during the actual swearing-in.
A symbol, eh? Like Batman?
It'll be interesting to see his success rating in a few years. Man was not made to be a God, but this one is being set up to play the part.
If we take to flashing a Barack symbol in the sky, then maybe I'll change my mind.
Or if he gets a Barackmobile.
Or if the White House comes to be called the Barack Cave.
Or if everything gets labeled "Barack" something. Like the "Shark Repellent Barack Spray" for those pesky exploding sharks.
And he'll need a utility belt.
I think it's good for everyone, regardless of race or gender. It's showing that someone different can do something big. He's the first ethnic president period - so that gives hope to every other nationality.
Who knows. Next? We might have a really awesome JEWISH LADY president (me). Now wouldn't that be great?
I feel like I need a seperate blog all about "what would be in barack obama's utility belt?" - or it'll just be my facebook status soon.
Lauren - you could be my first jewish lady president. As long as I can have first Puerto Rican born in Spain and speaks poor Spanish president.
Post a Comment