Friday, July 3, 2009

Fail #4: Epic talk to strangers fail!

I always thought I might be among the unsmooth. Now I'm sure of it!

Just an hour ago I was with some friends at Champps sports bar for a farewell gathering for a fellow co-worker. A friend of mine looked over at an adjacent cocktail table and noticed some young ladies he found attractive. After discussing for a while about how he should go talk to them, and him consistently refusing, I decided to go ahead and try to succeed in his stead.

In case you think I'm good at talking to complete strangers, I'm not. Especially when I'm approaching people with no good reason to do so. It was awkward. AWK-WARD. I don't even really remember what I said when I approached, but I do remember getting that sort of look you'd imagine you'd see on The Hills when someone walks in wearing last Spring's colors. It was so awkward that I pretty much said, "never mind." And I walked away.

I have no idea how that could have gone better. But it was an epic fail! And I'm a better person for it.

[I apologize if this is a little disjointed. I'm really tired.]

9 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Ha! And forever they're going to be saying, "Remember that guy who tried to talk to us in Champps?"

When you're famous, they'll be writing the tabloids about that story. "Sources say he likes to try to pick up women in sprts bars."

Adam said...

props Dan! It's hard work. Sounds like they didn't help much. They never do. They just let you stand there.

Dan said...

VJ - Both of those things are true.

Adam - Yea, I don't know. Maybe if I was cuter, or musclier, or less awkward. And not wearing my work clothes. Or maybe if they helped a little.

Anonymous said...

The most disturbing part about that blog is that you knew a reference to the Hills. I am embarrassed for you for that reason.

Rachael Monts said...

I agree with Andy.

Dan said...

Andy and Rach - I understand.

Lauren said...

For the record, I never thought you were good at talking to complete strangers. ;) Although now I know you're good at embarrassing people on your behalf, 'cause I'm totally with Rach and Andy on The Hills comment.

And you'd have to tell me the entire situation before I completely analyze it, but I don't think you can blame the girls for letting you stand there if you had come over without anything to say. How are they supposed to respond if they have no idea why you're talking to them? Next time, maybe you can use the line from She's the Man (I know how you enjoy Amanda Bynes movies) and ask, "Do you like cheese?"

erin said...

Ok ... I'm guilty. Sometimes it's just fun to watch them suffer. I never help. ;) It's your fault for going over unprepared.

As clever as you are Dan, you should have been able to come up with something. I always respond to clever. No matter how awkward the intro was.

Note: next time try and choose the girls you are interested in and not your coworker. Perhaps this was your first bad call. Let's just blame it on his bad judgment.

Dan said...

Anders - Thanks for outing my Amanda Bynes crush. 27 minutes til "What I like about you." Two episodes!

Erin - I'm much more clever in print. I can hit the delete button and start over, and you'd have no clue.

And maybe trying to talk with girls I'm not interested in was a bad call, but I fear I'd be even more of a bumbler if I was the one who was attracted.