Friday, July 24, 2009

Plenty of Fist

That was supposed to say "fish," but I find my typo humorous.

It can be indicative of my mood, though. Perhaps a Freudian slip? That's in regard to communication, which is what we're looking at today.

As opposed to a site like eHarmony which utilizes mediated communication, PoF allows users to directly contact one another through its internal email. Some of the benefits this method offers are that the user can see who has not read, read, and/or deleted their email. I find this helpful. That way, if I'm not being responded to, I can see that perhaps it was never read. For those worrisome types, this would likely help calm nerves and self-confidence issues.


There is also a "favorites" option. I didn't understand what it meant at first. I still don't, really. But as best as I can gather, adding someone as a "favorite" is kind of like a smile from across the room. It is an invitation to open a conversation. The user is alerted when they are made a favorite, and can check the person's profile, deciding if further contact should be made. I guess it's a modern spin on an old-fashioned idea - the guy can be the initiator. At least that's what I'm sensing. Feel free to suggest your own opinions on that matter.

Finally, there are attachable gifts, much like the ones found on Facebook. One friend who also joined the site sent me a steak, which I found hilarious. So the gifts can be used as a clever ice-breaker.

That's plenty of background. I'll try and update some personal experiences, should I happen to have any. And I'll see if I can coerce my friends on the site to share their experiences as well, since they are in dialogue with potential matches.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Maybe a favorite is like a poke on facebook? Or like a top friend position on myspace? Oh the parallels!

I love how your site has become a how-to guide on online dating!

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Fascinating!

Dan said...

La - I can't speak to the "poke," since I never understood that, either. But as I recall, you have to be a friend to poke. And a MySpace request has to be accepted... it's different still. I'm thinking maybe it only makes sense within this relationship-seeking dynamic.

View - Agreed!

Lauren said...

I'd send you french fries to go with your steak.

Dan said...

Anders - so you could eat them? I'm not a big ff fan.

Lauren said...

Learn to love 'em, Dan. I'm helping you broaden your horizons in the food department. ;)

OR we can say I'm following the little kid way of gifting: give people something YOU want because if you like it, clearly THEY will like it.

OR I just really like the idea of eating french fries right now... who cares if it's only 8:30AM?