Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Creatures of Habit

I just walked into the bathroom, flipped on the switch (thus turning on the lights), and then turned on the lamp in the bathroom.

Why did I turn on the lamp??

Our bathroom light has been out for 2 weeks. In the meantime we have had a lamp in the bathroom. So, I would normally walk in, flip on the switch (out of habit) and then turn on the lamp so that I could actually see. Now, the light works, but I still flip on the light (not expecting it to work), and proceed to turn on the lamp. Why??

We are creatures of habit, it's true. We like familiarity and patterns and constancy. But in the spirit of ridiculous challenges, here is a ridiculous challenge:

Do three things out of habit today.

For instance:
- Brush your teeth left-handed.
- Put pants on both legs at a time.
- Call your parents, even though it's not Sunday.
- Walk down the stairs backwards.
- Say hi to your neighbor.

Then, update me on how that went.

Ready... go.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 comments:

Rachael said...

when i started chiropractic school one of my instructors encouraged us to learn to become ambidextrous, and that would help us with our adjusting techniques....so i brushed my teeth with my left hand...for a week...and then gave up. :)

Lauren said...

I like this idea!

Every day I drive right now, make dinner, do something relaxing, go to bed. One day a few months ago rather than going straight home, I went downtown and read by Lake Eola. It was so nice to break the habit. I really should do it more often.

Dan said...

Rach - At least you tried. Think of how many people go through their lives only brushing with one hand. I tried, and I just kept stabbing my gums...

Lauren - Lake Eola is so good for that! I went out and played guitar a couple of times and it was like I was in another state. It was so nice.

And yes, you should do it more often. :)