Monday, December 29, 2008

Fashion : Function as Dan : Productive

I have a confession to make. It's something that very few people know, but for the sake of honesty, I'm going to share.

I like fashion. Yep, it's true. I enjoy Rihanna's fashion sense. I love spunky short hairstyles in the magazines at Hair Cuttery. I stop at reality TV shows that have to do with fashionable things.

Alas, I am not fashionable. I own 5 pair of jeans, two of which are the same exact style. I have an array of T-shirts. Not a vast array, just an array. I usually own a pair of street shoes and a pair of nice shoes at the same time, and that's it.

But just because I am not fashionable doesn't mean I have to stay that way. So, I have written to several Chicago area fashion bloggers to see if they want a project. The project would be to help me go from a normally dressed guy, to a somehow fashionably dressed guy, on a budget. I'm not sure what that looks like, because if I did, I wouldn't need to enlist help. But I really hope someone's up for it.

What are your thoughts on fashion?

8 comments:

Lauren said...

!!! I'm so excited by this. Not because I think you personally have bad style, you don't, but I'm just thrilled to see a makeover. I like living vicariously through people.

Remember your pants you had in high school that unzipped at the knees? THOSE were fashionable! :)

Dan said...

And you know I was the first person at LBHS to have them. :)

I'm going to start my fashion excursion today. I have to go exchange a shirt at Lord & Taylor. We'll see what we can come up with. Maybe something to match my "beautiful shoes".

erin said...

I have little to say about your fashion, because I know little of it. However, you definitely need more shoes. ;)

My advice? Adopt a fashionable gay friend to go shopping with. They always keep you straight. (In fashion)

Fashionable girlfriends work too, but you'll inevitably end up buying them something too.

Good Luck on your quest. Be careful, it's an expensive journey.

Clearance is your friend.

Dan said...

Okay, "Erin", I actually did get more shoes! I have my new "beautiful shoes" which are plaid grandpa slip on shoes, that actually look great with long pants, and a pair of brown and tan sneakers that are able to be dressed up and dressed down.

Fashionable gay friend, eh? I have none in the area. But that's a good idea. And my girl friends are the same type of fashion as me, for the most part. Birds of a feather and all that.

But I'm totally with you on the clearance rack. I was at the mall today with a friend and even on clearance stuff was like $30. I'm just not down with that. New lesson: stay away from the mall!

Lauren said...

You beat me in the jeans department - I currently only have one pair.

I LOVE that you got new shoes, though. I just got new shoes, too, although my newest ones aren't plaid: they're purple.

And if you want to follow up with Erin's advice, I have an extremely fashionable gay friend who could help you out. He even used to work in clothing retail. ;)

But my general thoughts on fashion are, "Who cares?" The trend will change in a few hours, so you might as well wear what you like and wear it forever.

Dan said...

Anders, I do agree that fashion changes in a few hours, weeks, seasons or whatever. But some people are just generally fashionable. It's hard to explain, but you know it when you see it.

If your gay friend likes the clearance racks, maybe. :)

anna said...

so did anyone write you back!?

You have a shopping friend here if you need it! But don't cut yourself short- you do have good taste- you look pretty great when you dress up!!

See ya soon friend!

Dan said...

Anna - No one has written me back yet. Laaaame.

But I did go clearance rack shopping at Old Navy today! The pickins were slim, but I found a couple of fun sweaters.

And thanks for the compliment. I try to look nice. It's a nice change from looking confused.