Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Messages at the Library: A Real Text Twist

Whilst perusing the online catalog at the library, I found a little button on the site. It said, "Text this call number to your phone!"

Apparently there is a shortage of those little stubby pencils and outdated cataloging cards, because I didn't have any nearby. Thankfully, this newest technological advance allowed me to send call number BS2575.2.k56 directly to my phone! It also told me the book was already checked out. Lame, but still awesome.

It's been about a month since I contracted my latest strain of WTD that's been going around. I then compounded that with vocal strain, and between the two I haven't been able to sing much for about 5 weeks. It's kinda depressing. As soon as it's all better I'm gonna find an open mike somewhere. It's just too much.

I've found that the last month or two have found me with little to write about. I think it's because life has gotten into the all-too-familiar routine of eat, sleep, work, school, church. Then again, if I look hard enough, I'm sure there's a story somewhere...

Last Saturday some friends and I went out to celebrate Krista's birthday, celebrating under the monogram "Happy Birthday Krista" at both celebratory locales. For story's sake, the night began at Applebee's in Crestwood. I haven't been to an Applebee's since I visited Matt down in Champagne/Urbana a few months ago. That was a decent experience. This one was too, but, well, here's the thing - as a server, I just can't sit an naively enjoy the restaurant experience like I used-to-could. (I have no idea how to spell that. It's "YOO-sta-kood".) So, here's the timeline.

0 min - put party of 9 ("Happy Birthday Krista") on list
10 min - get table, er, big booth (that was pretty awesome on a Saturday night.)
30 min - get drinks. yeah, 20 minutes for drinks!

And the rest really isn't that interesting. It's just that, well, 20 minutes for drinks? Good ness. I would be written up for that, and probably lose my shift the next week. I think the server tried to make it up by giving Krista's sister a free drink. (He was totally hitting on her. She was totally not interested.) I think he should've gotten her one of the Chocolate Mousse Mini-Shooters for dessert. But hey, that's just me.

Now that you've gotten all the interesting stuff out of me, I'll be back after I do something with my life, though at the rate I'm going we may not be using the internet anymore by then because it'll be too outdated.

Who's got Valentine's Day plans?

11 comments:

Matt said...

experience at something can really ruin it. one of the reasons i hate church

Dan said...

Matt - I'm not trackin with ya. Fill that in for me.

Anonymous said...

20 minutes for drinks?? I heard the Applebee's in Chicago (maybe just downtown?) were issuing watch/timers to their servers that beeped every so often when it was time for you to do something (get drinks, etc.) Clearly, this server had to watch/timer...sad.

Anonymous said...

ugh. that should say "had NO watch/timer..."

erin said...

That server mentality never goes away(just so you know). It makes me very glad that I do not produce films, because I like enjoying a film without critiquing all the details. If only dinner out could still have the same naivety.

You know ... as much as I like sweet things, notes, small "thinking of you" gifts, goofy poetry, etc., I've never been a huge Valentine's day fan. Too "supposed to" giving. We should just make up our own Valentines day randomly through the year. Pick a day and have a valentine.

Then again. I LOVED V-day in elementary school.

I wish it was kosher for adults to have decorated Valentine Card boxes.

Dan said...

Rick - Understood. Xanga actually has a feature where you can edit your comments up to 15 minutes after you post them, for those "oh crap" moments. Yeah, he needed a timer. And a swift kick in the rear.

Erin - I'm guessing you served? Sounds like the topic for your next blog! And you got me thinking, Why shouldn't we throw a "3rd grade Valentine party"? You can make Valentine's to give to each other. Of course, there'd probably also be some sort of alcohol involved. Everyone needs to grow up sometime.

Anonymous said...

I feel famous. :) --Krista

Lauren said...

Justin can't enjoy restaurants anymore either, after working in the pizza place for all those years. He tips like a madman!

(Side note, he also used to hit on his guests, though. I was there. Hearing my baby brother say "sweetheart" was BEYOND HILARIOUS. You know him. Picture it.)

The library thing is pretty sad. I didn't know we were so lazy that we couldn't write down, or even memorize, a reference number.

Last, I wholeheartedly agree with Valentines Day being the 2nd Halloween. I want to wear my costume again! I am so doing that.

Have you made your facebook group for possible valentine's day dates yet?? :)

Dan said...

Krista - Happy Birthday! You're pretty much famous. Accept it.

Lauren - I have the same tipping problem as your brother. I'm always wary of dining out because of my tendency to overtip so much that I can't afford it. I'm working on that, sweetheart. (that is hilarious!)

I like the text thing, though. If you're at your apartment and need to not lost the little scrap of paper with the call number, text works great.

Have fun dressing up. I have no facebook group this year, lol. I may need to work on a new Valentine's Day blog, though...

Lauren said...

I miss card catalogs.

Dan said...

Anders - I remember the first time I went to a library and was like, "where are the card catalogs?" and they told me they were on computers. I was like, "wtf, I just had to learn all that."

I miss them, too.