Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Isn't life grad?

Turns out I've said nothing of my change in grad school plans.

I'm joining the circus!

Not really.*

I changed degree programs. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone who has ever met me. I change my mind more frequently than I change my socks, and I change my socks once every few days, at least.

Over the past month or so I decided to switch from an MA in general theological studies to an M.Div or Masters of Divinity degree. First, the difference between the two: the MA is more academically oriented, the M.Div more practical/ministerial.

Why the switch? Well, I'll tell you.

The MA is for a person who wants more education and wants to do thesis work. This path is most often trod by those who wish to pursue Ph.D work. I thought I wanted to do that, but being the extrovert that I am, I fear I will find that pursuit incredibly disengaging.

The M.Div is the degree path chosen by those who typically wish to be pastors. "So, do you want to be a pastor?" My instinctual answer is, "Not really." But that's because, as Krista brought to my attention, I have in mind the traditional preacher/head pastor figure-head, and that's not what I want. I enjoy playing a supporting role, especially with music and community building. So, I want to be pastoral, but I don't plan on being a Hybels or MacDonald or Osteen. (Though I wish I had that great smile!)

Why the switch? Part of it is a sense of calling. I believe the Lord led me to Judson, and to Northern, and now to this new program. I have this sense of peace about it, and also excitement. Those are both good things. Second, it's practical. It really opens up more doors to do an M.Div as far as potential career choices. I plan on being bi-vocational (work in a church and have a "normal" job), but if for whatever reason I did want to be a pastor in a church, the M.Div is the highest masters in that field, so it would give me many opportunities to serve. And many schools still use it as a pre-req for doctoral work, so I could still do that.

Practically speaking, what does all this mean?

1) I won't graduate til at least Dec. '10.
2) I'll have a lot more full-time classes to attend.
3) I'm looking at becoming a resident of Illinois.
4) I'm taking hand-outs if anyone wants to contribute cash, food or guitars.

I've still got decisions to make regarding classes, papers and more, but that's the background info for any later rants on the subject.



*Actually, some people actually did join the circus, so I guess maybe it's not a joking matter.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

8 comments:

Lauren said...

So, wait, you're NOT joining the circus?

If you become a paster, write a book like Osteen. It FLEW off the shelves.

I think it's a cool choice for you, regardless of the fact that you'll be in IL for SO MUCH LONGER. As long as you're happy, i'm happy.

I'm thinking of going back to school as well! I'll tell you about it later :)

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Well good for you! It's nice to have a sense of peace about SOMETHING!

As long as you don't stop being Dan, I'm okay with anything you do.

Krista DeBoer said...

Yay! I feel famous!

Also, this great state officially welcomes you with open arms. Illinois: where the corn is fresh and the politics are dirty.

--Krista

Dan said...

La - If I could write a book like that, I'd be a heretic. But that is a lot of money... And yeah! I'm excited! What are you going to school for?? We'll have to talk.

VJ - If I stopped being Dan, I'd have to relabel all of my underwear. So, no worries.

KDB - You're pretty much a celebrity. I haven't had any fresh corn yet, but I know enough about the politics to know that I don't want any part.

Lauren said...

I'll keep an eye out for free guitars... but you don't need the food handout. I know about the bread.

Matt said...

WHAT THE HELL? Dude you used to be cool, now you gotta copy your betters (me)? aight i see, well you can come work under me. it will be a blast, also i honestly could use you at my current church but oh well.

Dan said...

Anders - shhhhh re: bread

Matt - I'm trying to be better than you in every way

Matt said...

and failing at it.