This and every Friday for the next 6 weeks: All you can eat fish.
Having grown up Catholic (and leaving with no bad taste in my mouth), I am familiar with fasting from meat on Fridays during Lent. It's a small act of sacrifice and mindfulness about the season we're in.
Certainly sacrificing meat for a day isn't a big deal. Well, unless you're a carnivore. Like me. I don't think a meal really counts unless there's meat. Beef, chicken, pork, bacon. All delicious. All necessary.
But if you're really devout, you can eat fish on Fridays. I have wondered why "fasting" from meat somehow makes an all-you-can-eat fish fry an acceptable alternative. It seems like maybe we've missed the point. This isn't anything new, though. Read any of the prophets and you'll see it's the old, old story of God's people.
Oops.
Anyone giving up anything for Lent?
3 comments:
No. I thought about it...and I realized I wouldn't be doing it for any reason other than guilt...or that other people are doing it.
I've never done it before (mostly because I was never really a part of a church that celebrated Lent), so why start now?
hmmm... hadn't considered it this year. Maybe the Internet after sun down... That's what I tend to occupy my time with instead of reading, journaling, etc. Yeah, I'll do that.
VJ - "We've never done that before. Why start now?"
Quotes to live by. ;)
I haven't done anything different this year, either. I'm just feeling snarky. And there's that guilt thing again. Man... it seems to be everywhere. Maybe just around this time of year?
V - Nice! Let me know how that goes via email in the morning.
Post a Comment