Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Inter-Denominationalism. "We are because we have been."

"If I was baptized Catholic, how do I get rid of it?"

Posed by a fellow student in my class a few years ago, the answer to this question gets at the heart of inter-denominationalism. (Man, that's a big word. ID from now on.)

There are many different denominations, or brands, of Christianity. There are even churches who claim to be non-denominational (ND). But I have yet to attend a church that calls itself "inter-denominational."

What's the difference between an ID church and a ND? While NDs usually refrain from liturgy and ritual, shying away from mainline traditions in order to jump straight from the text of the Bible to the 21st century, an ID church owns up to its history, and more importantly, the history of its members.

A church congregation is the sum of its parts. Any ND church has the potential to house Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists, Roman Catholics, and more. They become a unified amalgamation of their parts by disowning their respective traditions in order to create a new culture.

The ID church strives for something a little different. Instead of leaving their respective histories behind, each person or family brings their traditions with them. Perhaps a favorite hymn, the sign of the cross, an Easter Sunday tradition, whatever it may be. It could be a prayer, action, or bit of theology. Granted, mixing small bits of theology can be messy, but there is a reason it can work.

ID churches commit to the truths found in the Nicene creed and greater Christian orthodoxy. They are founded and agree on the primary issues of the faith. (i.e. Jesus was a historical person, who died and rose again.) But on issues of secondary importance, diversity is allowed. (i.e. How is Christ present in the Eucharist? Or, Is baptism for infants or adults?)

In an age where (as we discussed in the last post and related comments) orthodox, practiced Christianity is declining, the church is finding ways to survive. Part of survival mode is waving good-bye to small differences and banding together to preserve the foundational elements of the gospel.

So, what was the answer to the question? How does one get rid of one's "Catholicness?"

It doesn't happen. It will always be a part of that person. And it's a part that can enrich someone who can't disown their history.

I'm a fan of the idea of ID churches.

I just hope they all have kneelers.

2 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

I like this post. It seems like something that needs to be printed in a magazine or something...

Dan said...

Yea? Thanks, man.

Now I just need to find a magazine who'll print it, ha.