So, Dan, I know I comment ALL the time, but seriously-- ask around-- grocery shopping is my weakness. (Some, in my own house, have called me obsessed.)I love finding a good deal and shopping for less. (Last night I got 6 bags of lettuce, 4 cans of spaghetti sauce, 4 bottles of suave products (shampoo, cond, body was, etc), and 5 sticks of deodorant for $4!)
My suggestions & experiences: 1. Planning is super helpful. I do a week long plan and shop ONE night. Buying spur of the moment tends to lead to buying more than you need and extra random things left in your fridge that you can't use for other meals. I usually do a couple big meals that I can have leftovers, or freeze, and a couple simple meals (Spag & sauce).
2. Commit to a budget and stick to it. Self-explanatory. Take the "Pantry challenge" and eat everything in your pantry before going to buy more. Don't be afraid to make PB&Js or pasta & sauce staples.
*If you think you can't make your budget or want to be more thrifty-- coupon. The Sunday paper costs $1 and you'll earn that back easily if you utilize sales and the coupons. (To do "Super couponing" or just keep up with GREAT deals, check out some couponing blogs-- i.e. www.mashupmom.com, www.couponingfor4.net)
3. Limit eating out. Invite people in, or take a lunch, but allow yourself some leeway. Let yourself eat out a certain # of days a week (or a certain $ value).
So, this is what we do. I'm sure there are other ways. Hope this helps!
I have to suggest shopping by what is on sale, get a flyer, look at what is on sale for a good price adn try to plan your meals around that :) Also...sign up your jewel card at http://tv.catalinamarketing.com/ they have deals every month where if you buy certain foods you can get coupons for money back with your receipt (they print from a separate little machien at the check out. This month you can get $2 back for buying any Ragu, and Ragu at Jewel is only 1.99 so basically it's free!!!!! even if you don't watch what is there every month, there is always the chance if you sign up your card that something you are randomly buying cause you need will have some money back, and you just use that money on the next trip to buy anything you need - or another bottle fo Ragu :) (and get another $2 back :))
I know I'm a little slow on the RSS uptake on this one.. but I'll blame the time difference!! (haha)
Seriously though, planning and making the list of basic staples is super important. You can print coupons online too.. which is great because they are manufacturers coupons, not store specific.
Getting generics helps a lot too.
Also, if you cook, try and make a little extra and re purpose your food (ie leftovers) Chili can make burritos, chicken stew can go over rice or be made into a make shift pot pie by laying crescent rolls on top of it.
I have tons and tons of recipes like this. Lemme know if you want me to send you any!
4 comments:
So, Dan, I know I comment ALL the time, but seriously-- ask around-- grocery shopping is my weakness. (Some, in my own house, have called me obsessed.)I love finding a good deal and shopping for less. (Last night I got 6 bags of lettuce, 4 cans of spaghetti sauce, 4 bottles of suave products (shampoo, cond, body was, etc), and 5 sticks of deodorant for $4!)
My suggestions & experiences:
1. Planning is super helpful.
I do a week long plan and shop ONE night. Buying spur of the moment tends to lead to buying more than you need and extra random things left in your fridge that you can't use for other meals. I usually do a couple big meals that I can have leftovers, or freeze, and a couple simple meals (Spag & sauce).
2. Commit to a budget and stick to it. Self-explanatory.
Take the "Pantry challenge" and eat everything in your pantry before going to buy more. Don't be afraid to make PB&Js or pasta & sauce staples.
*If you think you can't make your budget or want to be more thrifty-- coupon. The Sunday paper costs $1 and you'll earn that back easily if you utilize sales and the coupons. (To do "Super couponing" or just keep up with GREAT deals, check out some couponing blogs-- i.e. www.mashupmom.com, www.couponingfor4.net)
3. Limit eating out.
Invite people in, or take a lunch, but allow yourself some leeway. Let yourself eat out a certain # of days a week (or a certain $ value).
So, this is what we do. I'm sure there are other ways. Hope this helps!
I have to suggest shopping by what is on sale, get a flyer, look at what is on sale for a good price adn try to plan your meals around that :) Also...sign up your jewel card at http://tv.catalinamarketing.com/ they have deals every month where if you buy certain foods you can get coupons for money back with your receipt (they print from a separate little machien at the check out. This month you can get $2 back for buying any Ragu, and Ragu at Jewel is only 1.99 so basically it's free!!!!! even if you don't watch what is there every month, there is always the chance if you sign up your card that something you are randomly buying cause you need will have some money back, and you just use that money on the next trip to buy anything you need - or another bottle fo Ragu :) (and get another $2 back :))
I know I'm a little slow on the RSS uptake on this one.. but I'll blame the time difference!! (haha)
Seriously though, planning and making the list of basic staples is super important. You can print coupons online too.. which is great because they are manufacturers coupons, not store specific.
Getting generics helps a lot too.
Also, if you cook, try and make a little extra and re purpose your food (ie leftovers) Chili can make burritos, chicken stew can go over rice or be made into a make shift pot pie by laying crescent rolls on top of it.
I have tons and tons of recipes like this. Lemme know if you want me to send you any!
All of these are super helpful! Thanks, ladies. :)
Post a Comment