In our morning meeting, our manager was trying to keep us on our best behavior. He told us, "Mind your Ps and Qs." Then, in typical fashion, he stopped and said, "What does that even mean, anyway?"
Of course, I was the one to respond. Now, you can know, too.
"One origin story of 'mind your Ps and Qs' comes from English pubs and taverns of the seventeenth century. Bartenders would keep a watch on the alcohol consumption of the patrons; keeping an eye on the pints and quarts that were consumed. As a reminder to the patrons, the bartender would recommend they 'mind their Ps and Qs'. This may also have been a reminder to bartenders not to confuse the two units, written as 'p' and 'p' on the tally slate.
"A second origin story comes from early printing presses. Printers placed individual letters on a typeset to print a page of text. The letters were reversed, making it easy to mistake lowercase p's and q's in setting the type. A reminder to stay watchful of the details could have come from this time as well. In a similar setting, this expression has been attributed as an adage for teaching children to spell."Thank you, Wikipedia. Once again, you've made me look smart.
3 comments:
I heard it was when a rumble was about to start the bartenders yelled to the patrons "Mind you P's and Q's!" to warn them to grab their drinks so they don't get lost in the scuffle. (mostly I just wanted to say rumble and scuffle)
You know what's sad? I knew that, but not because of Wiki...because of Chilis. They have random facts on their drink menu and because I have a tendency to read everything in front of me, I've read that a few times.
Woo knowledge!
Erin - No pub patron would pretend to pleasure in piddled pints, and would quickly question the quart's quandary... Drunk men hold their beer.
La - I believe you! It seems the pub story is more often propagated vs. the press. I worked with a press, though, and it was essential that we minded out Ps and Qs, or we'd be in big trouble! (Correctly mnogramming gift Bibles is pretty important.)
Post a Comment