I really want to believe him.
Politics. It's like a bad word. Being completely honest, I don't so much try to avoid it as ignore it. Sure, I like the idea of democracy. But I also like the idea of leaving my bike unchained at the park. And that left me hurt.
Many other people have had a similar experience. We put at least a small bit of hope out on the bike rack, trusting things will get better. But then we learn the ones who are supposed to take care of it, these politicians, are the ones who run away with it. And we're left wondering if we should believe at all. Was my trust the problem? Is it just them? And then, defeated, Should I even ride?
Tonight, listening to President Obama, I wanted to ride. I wanted to take the bike out of the apartment and sail, wind at my back. I'd fly through neighborhoods of Real Reform, Economic Upswing and Global Consideration. I'd leave behind Crooked Alley and Lying Circle. And alongside of me would be the same men and women I suspected would steal my bike if I ever brought it out again.
Either Obama has keyed in on the most manipulative emotion in our broken nation, "hope," and exploited it. Or, he really believes that there is change to be made, and wants to be an agent of that change for the greater good. Whatever the case, politicians still look like bike thieves to me.
But I want to believe him.
I want to ride.
7 comments:
so start peddling! This isn't a free ride Dan! Be a part of challenging the problems you see in your world (government or otherwise) by actively engaging in it. Ignorance, burn out, a bad experience: none of those are biblical reasons to disengage with our world. And I know you have passion and values and love for people and your God and his world. So let's get to it my brother!
Don't let fear or mistrust in persons keep you from living out of the Hope of God to transform our world! Who knows, maybe God is calling you to be one of those politicians that will be in desperate need of accountability and prayer during your term of service! ;)
julianne
Ahhhh!
Good call.
But here's part of my deal: It's all so overwhelming. I feel like there's no good place to start, and wherever I start there's going to be a person pushing their own agenda.
Maybe I can start with one issue.
I don't EVER plan on being in politics! But you called me on it, I do believe in a God who transforms, re-creates and redeems. And maybe our political system isn't completely immune to that.
You may have removed your post, Andy. But I still got it in my inbox, haha. You can't hide...
Beautiful analogy!
This is a fantastic post, it really is.
VJ and Lauren - Thank you.
I'd like to think posting every day is actually helping the quality. Or, the good ones just come closer to one another. ;)
Post a Comment