Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sound Familiar?

Listen to this (and watch, because it's just great):



The Weepies, "World Spins Madly On," from Say I Am You. (Undoubtedly one of my fave albums of the past decade.)

Then, listen to this:

Sarabeth Geoghegan, "I'm a Dreamer," from her MySpace.

Sound familiar? Let's talk.

First, I'm not sure how I happened upon this young lady's site. Honestly, I really enjoy her voice. And, humorously enough, the first track on the 'Space reminded me of, someone... oh, The Weepies! That's funny, nobody reminds me of them. (She also reminds me of Madi Diaz at moments, another weakness of mine.)

I was washing dishes, lovin' some new music by SBG, when "I'm a Dreamer" began. At the first sound of strumming I thought, "Wait a second," and as the strings entered, I actually looked to see if it was a cover. Nope. It wasn't. Then I wondered if Meg Toohey had produced it (The Weepies' producer). I don't think that's the case. Especially since I see that Ms. Geoghegan's top friend on MySpace is my beloved pop-folk duo, The Weepies.

I'm torn.

On one hand, it's impossible to make anything that really sounds new. It could be coincidence.

On the other, there's no possible way that was coincidence. From top to bottom, the track is a repackaging of "World Spins Madly On." Whose responsibility was that? I'm not sure. But you think someone would've been like, "Hey, that sounds a little too much like the other song." *Sigh*

What are your thoughts? When do we lighten up and say, "Whatever, it's a good song," and when do you say, "No! That's bad! Bad, bad, bad!"

I still like her other songs.

Edit: "Tired of Singing Sad Songs" is a beautiful track.

3 comments:

Amber said...

The Weepies are an influence of hers...and her first friend on myspace....
good songs tho!

Viewtiful_Justin said...

It smacks of plagiarism. I dunno...tribute is one thing, but if you're making money off it, that's breaking some laws, methinks.

Dan said...

Amber - agreed.

VJ - Yeeaaaah. Good call.