Friday, January 22, 2010

The Best Kind of Rejection

Well, it could have gone worse.

I went back to a favorite coffee shop yesterday. Once again, I chatted with the cute barista. Once again, we talked for a while, and it seemed to be going well. And for the first time, I made a move.

Before I left I asked, "So, how'd you like to chat sometime when you don't have to help customers and clean?" She got that surprised look on her face that could really go either way. But the long pause really couldn't.

She needed a moment.


Okay, she didn't need a moment. Because she said what she wanted to say. And it rhymed with,

"Um, well, I'd have to see what my boyfriend thinks about that."

Alright, it didn't rhyme. That's what she said. It was a little slow coming out, but it was definitely there.

I was fine with that. It was honest, and honestly, I think it was the best kind of rejection. If she's already taken, it validates my taste in women. And I didn't get totally shut down for no reason. I mean, I could have, but why go there, right?

It's all a game of risk. Or, if you're more apprehensive, risk management. I'm glad I took the risk. It's nice to be turned down every once in a while. Keeps me humble.

Any good rejection stories out there?

5 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Aww. Dang. So is it going to be awkward seeing her there from now on?

I'm really bad at saying no to people...the most awkward it's ever gotten is, "Oh, I'm gay." That usually does the trick. Then they want to go shopping with me.

As far as BEING rejected? I don't really have any stories in that department. But I also don't take risks like that (I mean, I didn't when I was single...I certainly don't now).

Dan said...

I don't think it'll be awkward.

I hear from Erin that the next time I go in I should be friendly, but not have any extended conversation, just to make clear I got the signal.

Lauren said...

I think it's just as awkward being shot down as it is doing the shooting down (so to say). But whatever - you tried! That's the important part. It wasn't hard and you survived to tell the tale. Now you can just try again, with someone more single.

Dan said...

La - You know, I think you're right.

And I lol'ed at your last sentence. :D

Lauren said...

I agree with Lauren that it's just as awkward shooting down as being shot down. In fact, I'd almost rather prefer to be the rejectee 'cause I at least know that I can handle it. I always worry about really messing with people's self-esteem when I'm the one saying, "No thanks."