Friday, January 8, 2010

"So, you're giving a 20-minute speech?"

Sort of.

But not really.

I was telling one of my friends at work that I am preaching at church this month.* He is familiar with the Catholic Mass, but isn't well-acquainted with a "Protestant"** gathering or worship service.

Knowing he was familiar with the liturgy of the Mass I said, "You know that part between the Gospel reading and the Eucharist? That little 5 minute homily on the scripture? It's like that, but longer."

... "So, you're giving a 20-minute speech?"

I could see interest quickly fading.

It was a good experience. To have someone who is basically outside of the church ask such a simple question.

I had to concede that, yes, a sermon is basically a speech. It's a prepared presentation on a Scripture passage or topic. The goal is to take the ancient story and make it relevant to today's audience, answering the question, "OK, what's the point?"

But what makes a preach (um... just go with it) different than a speech?

For the Christian, the difference is that the presentation of God's word, or Scripture, will be empowered by the Holy Spirit, and that it will be a specific word for that congregation at that time. Preaching exists under the belief that God is still speaking to his people today, and uses people to get that word across in a fresh way.

In a speech, preparation is necessary. There is a combination of research and presentation skills that is essential in order to give a good speech.

In a preach there's still the combination of research and presentation, but there are the added elements of hermeneutic, meaning to make it relevant and meaningful for today, and prayer. Without prayer, a preach is likely to become a speech, because without seeking what this God who still speaks to his people might want to say, it's not exactly preaching in the proper sense.

So, will I be giving a prepared oral presentation? Yes.

Am I giving just a 20-minute speech?

I hope not.

*Which should probably be a whole 'nother post.
**Also should be another post.

6 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

I guess I never realized that some people aren't used to an hour long church service in which the majority is either music or sermon. Of course, I've been going to liturgical church services lately, and the beauty of such a small "sermon" is that if it's terrible, it's short!

But really, the church I've been going to is AMAZING.

erin said...

Goodluck with your preach. ;) I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad our homily is not 20 minutes long. But I'm sure you will entertain the masses while spreading your message without anyone falling asleep.

c.blake said...

I posted back in august that preaching is not speeching. I agree with you and pray every time I preach that it is no speech.

peace to you

Dan said...

VJ - It's true. Some people aren't used to any church at all. Interestingly, those who are less familiar with church are usually not drawn as much to the music as the teaching. At least in my experience.

What church have you been going to?
And do you even get these responses I make to your comments?

Erin - Thanks! I think I'll preach like I blog. Short and to the point, and moderately entertaining on the second read-through.

Chad - Yes! I found it here.
Maybe I stole those words from you...

Matt said...

Why, why must you destroy the language describing my profession. it is not "a preach," it is a sermon. Preach is a verb relating to the proclamation of God's word through sermon. I actually care about this a lot because I do it every Sunday and i hold it in a high regard that does not want the language confused for no purpose.

Dan said...

I destroy the language because it rhymes.