Friday, February 19, 2010

Taxes and Christian Ethics

Does anyone have moral dilemmas anymore?

I've spoken with some people, Christians, regarding money that goes to the government. There is this pervasive sense that "the government screws us over, so I'm gonna get what I can."

That doesn't fly with me.

Sure, the government may screw us over. But we've signed up to live here. We've got a choice not to.

And then there are insurance companies. They screw everyone over. And I'm sure you can add many more to the list.

But, if you're a Christian, is keeping what you think you deserve part of justice, or lying?

Discuss.

5 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

It's lying. End of discussion.

erin said...

This is why religion and politics are seperated. They don't play well together.

Jean Sharp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean Sharp said...

If we really got what we deserved, I don't think we'd ever be in favor of keeping it.

Good topics. I'd add "retirement savings", too.
There seems to be a growing (Christian) ethical dilemna with saving for retirement.

We had a discussion not too long ago dealing with how inundated we are with these social constructs. If you deny that insurance is bad, you deny every bit of insurance, which secures everything-- your car, house, health, hospitals, government, grocery stores, jobs, institutions, student loans, the list goes on.
Not participating in the system is a radical step. With radical consequences and radical living. So far, it looks like the Amish are the only ones really carrying that out.

Dan said...

VJ - Yeah. I was on that same plane.

Erin - I think this is way bigger than religion and politics. And actually stands more in the realm of religion than politics.

Jean - What do you mean by your first sentence?

I agree, the system is defunct. But if you're going to play by some of the rules, are you obligated to play by all of them?